The Top 5 Wireless Dog Fences Reviewed
A dog is man’s best friend.
And little boys’ and girls’ too.
In fact, a dog is a wonderful companion for the whole family. They’re always ready to show you a friendly face when you need to see one.
Their very presence is calming, and therapeutic. The presence of a dog in the home is the perfect antidote to a long and stressful day at work.
Your dog gives you an excuse to get outside in the open air and get some quality time with your thoughts (and your best friend of course). They’re a near-infinite source of love and happiness and a great addition to virtually any household.
That said, it’s understandable that many families might think twice before bringing a dog into their home. They may worry about whether or not they’re ready for the responsibility, whether their kids are ready to take on a pet and whether the home itself is able to accommodate its furry new resident.
Dogs, especially pups, are frisky and playful- always bursting with energy. Dogs don’t care how rare and expensive your rug is, how perfectly varnished your doors or how irreplaceable your collection of designer clothes. They’re little wolves. And if they need to pee, scratch and play… that’s what they’re gonna do.
Likewise, these territorial creatures have a different sense of boundaries to us. They follow their noses and are often inclined to wander. For this reason, many dog owners want to ensure that their pets are well protected by a fence that keeps them away from hazards like the road and their neighbors.
But if you don’t like the idea of your home being barricaded by a huge wired fence fear not. Through the miracle of modern technology, you can keep your dog (or cat) safe and sound at home and away from danger with a wireless fence.
We go through each of the wireless fences in our buyers guide below, but for those in a hurry here are the units we looked at:
Best Wireless Dog Fences
Here are some of our favorites which you might want to check out if you’re considering bringing a pet into your home…
If your home has a big garden or spacious grounds you may worry about whether or not a wireless fence will have the range to keep your furry friend kept safe. Or you may balk at the idea of digging up your garden to bury wires.
This pet containment system from PetSafe makes these considerations irrelevant with a system that is easy to use and install. With a couple of weeks’ training, your pet will understand their new boundaries and you’ll never need to worry about them going astray.
Simply install the transmitter somewhere weatherproof and close to a power point, set it to the right area for your dog, mark the perimeter with training flags, attach the collar and walk your dog up to the perimeter lines so that they know which areas they are free to roam and which are off limits. The system uses a waterproof collar which fits dogs from 8lbs and neck sizes between 6 and 28 inches. When they stray past the allotted boundary, they receive a harmless correction. If your dog is corrected passing the boundaries, they won’t be corrected again when coming back home. The system has 5 static settings and a “sound only” option to use when training.
This is a versatile system with circular coverage over half an acre. It can be set to compass your entire yard (front and back) or the back yard only. Up to three additional base units can also be added if you want to expand your territory and let your pet explore larger grounds without correction. You can even take the base unit with you on vacation to let your dog roam free around your camper or RV.
The system is also compatible with a wide range of other collars so that if you have more than one pet (or are thinking of getting another), you won’t need to worry about replacing your whole system.
- 1/2 Acre of Circular Coverage: The adjustable circular range can cover up to 1/2 acres from the placement of the Portable indoor transmitter
- No Wire to Bury: A wireless boundary allows you to create a secure barrier around your yard to protect your pets without the time or hassle of burying wires
- Static-Free Reentry: Unlike traditional in-ground fences, this wireless fence allows your pet to return home without being corrected if your pet passes the boundary
- Simple Set-up: Sets up in just a few hours; this Portable system is terrific for camping and vacation homes
- Waterproof Collar: The waterproof collar comfortably fits dogs 8 pounds and up and adjusts to fit neck sizes 6-28 inches; Compatible with all PetSafe Wireless Fence transmitters
This robust wired system comes from a brand with a sterling reputation for hard-wearing and reliable products. The fence itself comes with a 12 month warranty which can be extended to 5 years when you register the product.
Powered by Perimeter Technologies, this system provides a generous coverage of up to 6 acres and can be extended with more collars as you bring more dogs into your home. It doesn’t even matter if you have numerous dogs of different sizes or ages. Each collar’s correction strength is individually programmed and has 7 static correction levels to choose from based on each dog’s individual needs. There’s also a ‘beep only’ level which can be used in training.
Although this is a wired system, the 12 gauge wire is extremely robust and will continue to provide outstanding performance in all weather conditions. You also get 50 training flags included making it easy to mark even large territories for training your pet.
While most collars are water resistant, this collar is completely waterproof and submersible making it perfect for dogs that love nothing more than to swim. What’s more, the digital transmitter even has an AM setting just in case a neighboring fence is generating interference with yours. All told this is an impressive and extremely robust set.
- 🎖️ Improved: The 2nd Generation eXtreme Dog Fence STANDARD GRADE Kit Covers Up to 6 Acres. The Updated Electronics are Designed for Compatibility with New Collar Options. 3 Antennas, 12x Battery Check, +More
- 🎖️ Waterproof and Submersible: Most Other Inground Dog Fence Systems Claim to be "Water Resistant". The eXtreme Dog Fence Includes a Collar Receiver that is COMPLETELY Waterproof, and Can be Submerged up to 10' Deep. Your Dog Can Swim with the Collar on and Won't Affect it's Functionality
- 🎖️ Standard Fence Kit Includes: 20 Gauge High Tensile Boundary Wire with Heavy Protective Jacket, Digital Transmitter, Collar Receiver(s) w/ Battery, Training Flags and Splice Kits
- 🎖️ Guarantee: This Underground Dog Fence Includes a 1 Year Warranty. When You Register Your Fence, Your Warranty eXtends to 5 Years. This Fence WILL Contain Your Dog and has Been Manufactured for More than 25 Years and Carries a Stellar Reputation for Reliability and Performance
- 🎖️ U.S.A. : These Electric Fences for Dogs Are Proudly Manufactured in the Good Old United States of America. We are Standing By to Provide You Top Level Assistance and Support in Setting Up Your Fence, Training Your Dogs and Puppies, or Troubleshooting Any Issue that Comes Up
When bringing a new dog into your home, teaching them the boundaries in which they can and can’t explore is one of many training challenges that owners face. The folks at WEIZ have seized on a golden opportunity and created a wireless fence system that also doubles as a training collar to keep your pet on the straight and narrow.
The collar is completely adjustable and waterproof and can be cut to any size from 6 to 28 inches circumference to fit dogs from 10 to 110lbs. What’s more, it’s totally eco-friendly and will biodegrade to dust after around 5 years. Perfect for eco-conscious dog lovers. The surface even has a reflective strip so you won’t need to worry about your dog’s visibility at night.
The transmitter uses advanced 2.4G frequency technology to ensure that transmission will always be strong and stable, whatever the weather and conditions, ensuring robust functionality without the need to lay down wires. Switching between wireless fenced mode and training mode is easy. In fence mode, the transmitter has an adjustable radius of 98- 984 feet and when in remote control mode. Warnings are easy to change according to your dog’s need including sound, vibration and static warnings. Static warnings have 6 settings to ensure the right kind of prompt for your wayward pet.
This system also comes with 2 collars so can be used straight out of the box if you have more than one dog to train.
Another robust and reliable in-ground fence system, this offering from SportDOG comes with everything you need to establish a fenceless perimeter for your pet covering a third of an acre acres of land for one dog. The system can also be easily expanded to cover up to 100 acres with more wire and flags. Perfect for dog owners with large grounds who want to let their pets roam free without wandering onto nearby roads or into neighbors’ property.
Perimeters are easy to customize. You can set up a simple perimeter, install a closed loop to allow access to water on your property or even mark off decorative ponds or swimming pools where you don’t want your dog swimming around.
The collar is completely adjustable and is best suited to dogs up to 10lbs in weight. The battery has a life of up to 6-12 months in containment mode before a replacement is needed. The system can also be upgraded to use a rechargeable lithium ion battery.
If your pet breaches the perimeter after training, the collar delivered a tiered response, starting with a tone, before changing to a vibrating buzz before finally administering an adjustable static shock.
- Easy-to-install containment kit includes everything needed to cover 1 1/3 acres of land for one dog; can be expanded to cover 100 acres with more wire and flags (sdf-wf)
- Waterproof collar takes standard 9-volt battery (included) that lasts 6-12 months; Fits dogs 10 pound And up
- Contain an unlimited number of dogs with additional collars (sdf-r)
- Collar gives Tone (beep) and vibration (Buzz) warning before moving to one of four static stimulation levels (you choose the best level for your dog)
- Transmitter features wire break alarm and built in Lightning Protector
With newly improved solid copper boundary wire, extended battery life, rechargeable batteries and improved signal quality, this is the best version of the hidden dog fence by Sit Boo-Boo ever to hit the market.
The system comes complete with a 955 foot spool of solid copper wire. This should be enough to cover a perimeter of up to 1.2 acres. However, the transmitter has a comfortable range of up to 5 acres making this an easy system to upgrade. Simply add more copper wire. Solid copper wire is not only stronger and more robust, it also ensures good signal strength in all conditions. What’s more, the transmitter uses the latest radio wave technologies, so you’ll never need to worry about a loss of service.
The adjustable collar is adequate to suit most dogs and the unit attached can deliver 5 levels of static correction to tailor to your dog’s size and needs. Perfect for those who demand safety and reliability.
- ELECTRIC DOG FENCE 955 ft of industrial grade SOLID COPPER CORE WIRE. Enough to cover 1.2 acres. Can expand up to 5 acres of land
- 5 LEVELS OF ADJUSTMENT - Tone & Static correction. Perfect for mild mannered to more stubborn dogs
- ADD UNLIMITED PETS: Perfect for that large pet family - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NTVQBWV/ref=twister_B083T7YCNK?
- ABOVE GROUND OR UNDERGROUND INSTALLATION - The system is completely customizable to the shape of your property
- US BASED CUSTOMER SERVICE - We know you have options, but we want to ensure you get the best with us, and that's why we offer a 1 YEAR REPLACEMENT WARRANTY
Installing A Wireless Dog Fence
If you are worried that installing a wireless fence may be too difficult, you needn’t be. The process is straightforward, so most anyone can do it. Here is a great YouTube video that walks you through the process: