Top Sliding Window Air Conditioners Reviewed
The vast majority of air conditioning units that are for sale today are designed so that they can be used on vertical windows that open up and down, for example, double-hung windows.
Unlike portable air conditioners that can be easily moved from one room to another, sliding window AC units need to be mounted securely to make sure they stay in place. The larger the unit, the more care you need to take to make sure it doesn’t fall out.
These air conditioners are not designed to work in casement windows – windows that are hinged on the side and either slide or crank open sideways. For those types of windows there are some tall and thin air conditioners that can work in a narrow space, and also special kits that will allow you to mount the vent hose from a portable AC unit.
But for most people, a traditional horizontal mounted window air conditioner can handle the job of cooling their room. So that is why we decided to take a look at the latest models available, and see which ones rise above the rest.
We go over each of the units in our window air conditioner buyers guide below, but for those in a hurry here are the AC units in our roundup:
Best Sliding Window Air Conditioner
There are quite a few different models of AC units you could buy, but some are clearly better than others. To help you get great cooling at a reasonable price, here are our picks for the best sliding window air conditioners:
There is only one place to begin, and this is with LG LW8016ER. This sliding window air conditioner is rated at 8,000 BTUs. You will hear BTU referenced a lot when it comes to window air conditioners. This is because it is the traditional unit for measuring heat. In the world of air conditioning, BTUs are a measurement of your window air conditioner’s cooling capacity. Your A/C unit will be more powerful the greater the BTUs. Generally speaking, your A/C unit will need roughly 30 BTUs for every square foot of living space you are aiming to cool. Therefore, you could cool around 350-sq-ft with this model, making it a great choice for a studio apartment, living room, or a big master bedroom.
This model has a lot of great features. This includes the fact that it comes with a cool and energy saver mode. As you would expect, the cool mode does exactly what it says on the tin; it cools your room to a temperature you desire. With the energy saver mode, your room is going to be cooled to the temperature you desire, and then it will be switched off. It will be automatically turned on again once the temperature starts to rise. This is a perfect option for people who work and want to make sure they come back to a nice, cool home. You can ensure this is the case without having to worry about spending a fortune on your A/C. This is also ideal for those who want the room to be cooled periodically during the night.
This sliding window air conditioner comes with insulation strips and side curtains to make sure that there are not any leaks and that no air comes from the outside. It is also worth pointing out that it uses HFC R-32 for its refrigerant. This is becoming more and more popular, and so you will not need to worry about sending a fortune for a refrigerant refill.
One of the best things about this product has to be the affordability of it. When you compare it with the other window air conditioners that are on the market today, it is very reasonably priced. This is especially the case when you consider other 8,000 BTU units. You get this with the peace of mind of choosing a well-known brand in LG.
Last but not least, one thing we always look for when we are searching for air conditioners and products like this is whether or not the item has been Energy Star Certified by the Environmental Protection Agency. We are delighted to confirm that the LG LW8016ER is certified, which is another plus point for this model.
- Beat the heat while remaining cool and happy on hot summer days
- With 2344.57 W cooling power, enjoy a blast of cool air throughout your room
- Stay comfortable with this air conditioner, which effectively cools rooms up to 340 Sq. ft.
- Have more control over air flow with 3 fan speeds
- 4-way Air Deflection, enjoy the cool air even more with our 4-way air direction by adjusting the deflection, air is directed up, down, left or right to move the air where it is needed most
Next, we have the TOSOT 8,000 BTU Window Air Conditioner. As you can see, this has the same BTUs as the former model, and so this can give you a good idea regarding the size of space that this air conditioner is going to be able to cool. If the space you wish to cool is 450-sq-ft or smaller, you are going to find this a really great choice for your home or indeed business. You will be able to cool a space of this size with relative speed.
One thing that is definitely worth noting about this model is that it is not just an air conditioner. There are two other key functions that you can expect with this product, giving you great value for money. The first feature, and the most notable of the two, is the dehumidifier. This will get rid of any excess moisture from the air, which results in the air feeling a lot cooler. It would, of course, feel much hotter if it was humid. The other feature is the fan-only mode. This can be helpful if the air outside is a little bit cooler and you wish to bring some of it into your home.
There are some other features that set this sliding window air conditioner apart from the other models that are on the market today. This includes the fact that it features a very beautiful design. Appearance is not the first thing we tend to consider when it comes to A/C units. However, when adding something to your home, you want to ensure that it looks good. Plus, this A/C unit is very easy to install and use too. So, if you are looking for something that has a nice design, is easy to get to grips with, and offers good performance and power, you won’t be disappointed with this model.
- QUICK COOLING: Give your hot room the cold shoulder. TOSOT 8, 000 BTU Window Air conditioners are best for spaces up to 350 sq. ft. If your space has high ceiling, an open floor plan, or a lot of traffic, you may want to consider sizing up.
- MODERN DESIGN: This ain't your grannie's Window AC. Gone are the eyesores of yesterday, with their ugly metal grilles messing up the flow of your interior decorating skills. Bring the art gallery to your home by installing this sleek, minimalistic air conditioner in your living room window.
- 1 PRODUCT, 3 USES: At TOSOT, we want our products to solve as many of your problems as possible. That's why we're giving you three products for the price of one! This is not only a Window Air Conditioner, but also comes with modes for fan-only and for dehumidifying.
- SMART TEMPERATURE CONTROL: On most air conditioners, the thermostat is located on the unit itself. TOSOT Air Conditioners uses a thermostat is located on the remote, meaning your AC will cool your space based on the temperature around your remote (which is probably close to you, right?)
- SAVES YOU MONEY: TOSOT Window Air Conditioners are Energy-Star rated, making them better for the environment and your wallet. Everyone may not agree on climate change, but the one thing we can all stand behind is lower utility bills.
Next, we have the Frigidaire FFRA0511R1 5 mini-compact air conditioner. With a lower cooling power of 5,000 BTUs, this window air conditioner is a good choice for smaller rooms. It is ideal if you have a room that is 150-sq-ft or less.
One of the best things about this air conditioner is that it helps you to reduce your energy bills because it has a low power start-up, which is designed to conserve energy. It would be an ideal choice if you are looking for a window A/C unit for your home office or bedroom, for instance. It comes with mechanical rotary controls, which have been designed to last for many seasons of use, so you do not need to worry about durability. It also comes with a two-way air direction feature, moving air around the entire room in an effective manner. Other notable points with this product include the fact that it has dehumidification power of up to 1.1 pints per hour and the unit is 12″ high by 16″ wide by 15.25″ deep.
There is a lot to like about this A/C unit. Of course, the low power start-up is something that will be appreciated by households all over the country. However, it is not just a product for those looking to lower their bills. It provides great functionality too. This is because it dehumidifies, cools, and it has a number of different settings for fans and speeds. For a small space, it is one of the most efficient cooling systems out there at the moment.
It is a great choice as well if you are looking for something that will be suitable when you are unable to install a permanent cooling system. This air conditioner for sliding windows works well in dorms, small apartments, recreational vehicles, and rentals too. It has also proven a popular choice for homeowners who are looking for solutions to deal with problem areas in their home because they have spaces where their current HVAC system will not reach.
- 5,000 BTU mini-compact air conditioner for window-mounted installation uses standard 115V electrical outlet (Window mounting kit included)
- Quickly cools a room up to 150 square feet with dehumidification up to 1.1 pints per hour
- Mechanical rotary controls, 2 cool speeds, 2 fan speeds, and 2-way air direction.Window Width: 23 inches - 36 inches
- Low power start-up, quiet operation and effortless restart.Exterior Dimensions Height: 12 inches. Width: 16 inches. Depth: 15-1/4 inches
- Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER): 11.1, Measures: 16-Inches W x 15-1/4-Inches D x 12-Inches H.Motor RPM (Low): 1310
Next, we have the MIDEA MAW06R1BWT Window Air Conditioner. MIDEA is a brand that is well-known for creating a number of great air conditioning products. With this particular window air conditioner, you are going to benefit from a product that provides a 24-hour on/off timer, enabling you to pre-set the climate you want for any time of the day, as well as an electronic control for ease of use. It also offers a washable filter, different fan speeds, auto restart, and many other useful features, which is why it made our top five list.
- 3-IN-1 FUNCTIONALITY - Midea's 3-in-1 technology combines air conditioning, dehumidification, and fan-only modes that work together to increase the comfort of your home
- FAST COOLING – This 6, 000 BTU model provides fast and efficient cooling and dehumidification ideal for rooms up to 250 square feet. Cools down your home, office or apartment for maximum comfort.
- INNOVATIVE FEATURES – An intuitive design remote control and a LED digital display panel will make it easy to change all the settings from across the room.
- EASY INSTALLATION - This window unit installs easily without significant modification to the existing window frame (23-36" x 15. 5"). All mounting accessories (23-36" x 14 ") are included. A screwdriver is required (but not included) for installation. For some window frames, pilot holes are recommended before installing screws. Please see included instruction manual for further detail
- WORLDWIDE - Midea is the world’s largest provider of air conditioning products. As a testament to our dedication to quality, we offer a one year parts and labor on this product
Finally, we have another window air conditioner that is a good choice for smaller rooms, such as offices at home and bedrooms. This is a great choice if you are looking for an A/C unit that is going to give you all of the features you need, without the extra bells and whistles and the added expense that comes with this. One of our favorite features is the fact that this product is very easy to use, as it comes with a straightforward installation kit. It also comes with two-way air direction, ensuring you do not end up with untouched hot spots in your room.
- Overall Dimensions: 17.32" W x 14.37" D x 11.14" H | Maximum window width: 35"
- 5, 000 BTU window air conditioner
- Cools a room up to 150 sq. ft. Dehumidification up to 1. 3 pints per hour
- Manual controls with 2 cooling and fan speeds
- 2-way air direction directs cool air where you want it
Installing A Sliding Window Air Conditioner
As we mentioned earlier in this post, properly securing a window mounted air conditioner is critical to ensure your safety. Not only can improperly mounted AC units fall out and cause injury and/or damage, but they also won’t cool as efficiently if they aren’t installed correctly. It isn’t a difficult process, as long as you follow the correct procedure. Here is a great YouTube video that walks you though the installation process: