The Top 5 Wifi Temperature Monitors Reviewed
With sensor technology plummeting in price, it was only a matter of time before we got remote WiFi thermometers. These devices allow you to check the temperature in virtually any location from a distance, without having to go up and read the mercury yourself. It’s an excellent idea for anyone wanting to monitor conditions in their child’s room, data center, or workshop. A temperature sensor gives you vital information that a regular camera doesn’t.
Unsurprisingly, several companies have rushed to market to offer WiFi thermometers. Practically every model comes with a companion app for your smartphone or tablet, allowing you to view temperature readouts and get detailed information on conditions. While you’d think that the temperature sensors themselves would be the differentiator in the market, they’re only a small part of it. The majority of the value of these thermometers is in their companion apps. How they interface with the digital world is what sets them apart from each other.
So, which is the best WiFi temperature monitor on the market today? Let’s take a look.
Best Wifi Thermometers
One of the big pluses of the Temp Stick’s Wireless Remote Temperature Monitor and Humidity Sensor is the fact that it’s genuinely wireless. There are no plugs, wires, or anything else that you need to connect to a socket. Instead, the unit works on battery power alone, letting you put it practically anywhere you like for precision monitoring.
Temp Stick also supply each of their thermometers with a unique ID code. When you connect them to the app, you can identify each unit in your network and track temperatures across various rooms or areas of your facility. You can even use them to measure temperature gradient: how much temperate changes for a given distance from a heat source.
The data you receive on your app is not only real-time but historical too. Temp Stick collects all of the output from each temperature monitor and collects it in an archive automatically. You can then access the data whenever you like. The only issue is that there doesn’t seem to be a way to download historical data on iOS devices. You can’t transform it into a spreadsheet format, making the business case less appealing for those on Apple’s platform.
So who is the Temp Stick for? Essentially, it’s for the domestic user. It’s for the person who wants to monitor the temperature of their baby’s room or walk-in fridge and doesn’t mind changing the batteries every few months.
- Remote Wifi Temperature and Humidity Monitor. 5 Year Warranty... the last sensor you'll need to buy!
- Superior 1 Year+ battery life! Completely wireless, battery operated sensor (2x AA batteries, included). No gateways or wires needed. Connects to Wifi and Sends text and email alerts for Hi/Low Temperatures, Humidity Levels, Wifi Connection Loss and Low Battery.
- Check-in remotely from anywhere, anytime using your mobile, tablet or pc. Connects to your wifi and monitors temperature and humidity in your home, fridge, attic, walkin cooler.
- Data logging with Unlimited History. No subscription and No fees. Accurately monitor conditions 24/7.
- Free email and phone support 7-Days-A-Week! Fast, knowledgeable assistance. Made In America. Support American Manufacturing & Ingenuity.
Digital devices that connect to your phone via apps tend not to have particularly high sensitivity. You’re almost always better off buying a standalone, analog tool. SensorPush, however, wants its customers to be able to have their cake and eat it by giving them a device that has all of the sensitivity of a standalone while at the same time, interfacing with their digital devices. The company’s WiFi thermometer has surprisingly good accuracy. It will work between -40C and 60C to an accuracy of 0.7C, and the humidity sensor gives you a reading with a 7.1 percent error, which isn’t bad. The device will also work outside if you face the humidity sensor downwards, which is great if you need to use it in wet conditions (perhaps to monitor livestock).
- Easy one-time setup: Install our free app (iOS 8+ or Android 4.3+) and hold the sensor against the screen
- Powerful: Line of sight range of 325 feet keeps you up to date, even on the other side of your home
- Designed with you in mind: Beautifully designed apps for Apple iOS and Android make monitoring easy
- Accurate: Swiss-made sensing component provides reliable, accurate measurements
- Set it and forget it: Pushes readings to devices via Bluetooth and alerts you if there's a problem
While it’s not a dealbreaker on any of the other devices listed here, it’s nice to have an external display. It means that if you are in the vicinity of the thermometer, a quick glance is all you need.
People use WiFi thermometers to monitor conditions for animals. The Govee is ideal for anyone who needs to control the temperature in a reptile tank or while transporting race dogs. It’s even useful in stables during the winter when you want to know whether you need to use a horse blanket or not.
If there are any issues with the Govee, they’re minor. The main problem – as with many WiFi devices – is connecting the thing to the network. Govee says that its Digital Indoor Hygrometer and Thermometer is compatible with a wide variety of network standards, but that’s never much reassurance. It’s worth pointing out that it doesn’t support 5Gz wireless standard, so you’ll want to skip it if you use that on your network. However, overall, the display on the sensing device itself is extremely helpful.
- Remote Monitor Alarm: Connecting with 2.4 GHz WiFi or Bluetooth, you can remotely monitor temperature and humidity. Help keep an eye on your house when you're away from home. Alert will be sent to "Govee Home" App when beyond preset value. (NOT SUPPORT 5G WIFI)
- Dual Display Methods: Govee wireless temperature humidity gauge is equipped with clear LCD screen. You can check the current temperature humidity on LCD display, or you can get current and historic data via app.
- Accurate Measurement: Govee wireless thermometer hygrometer accesses temperature accurately within ±0.54℉ and humidity ±3% with build-in SHT30 high precision sensor. Precise sensor offers reliable data.
- Functional APP: "Govee Home" is a smart App with features of low battery alarm, easy setting and data sharing (log in with same account). Simply switch the temp unit °F/°C, calibrate and pre-set the alarm value through your fingers on APP.
- 2 Years Data Export: Thermometer hygrometer can record over 2 years data and upload to phone via Wi-Fi (Not Support 5GHz). Choose different interval of data as you need. Export data in CSV format anytime you want.
In an age of digital weather apps and real-time temperature alerts, you might think that putting all this information on a custom display is a bit excessive. However, it’s easy to imagine situations where this might be helpful. People who work outside and need both hands free can benefit enormously from being able to glance up at the device. It’s also beneficial for those who have to wear gloves and can’t easily use their smartphones to check apps.
The amount of information you get on the display is good, but what’s nice about it is the way that La Crosse Technology decided to present it. While time, humidity, and temperature are metrics, the weather forecast is a picture. The device represents sun, cloud, rain, snow, fog and more.
While the device is impressive, getting it to connect to the WiFi network can be a challenge. What’s more, La Cross Technology doesn’t provide much in-person support if you do run into trouble setting it up. When you buy a device like this, it makes sense to have support. You would prefer to simply call up a customer support center and get them to give you advice over the phone. Being a small company, La Crosse Technology’s customer service is lacking.
The companion app provides you with the information that you need, but it’s not the star of the show – that award goes to the display. It’s an excellent device for people who want to monitor the temperature and humidity conditions without reaching into their pockets for their phones. The remote sensing capabilities of the device are secondary. While the companion app provides real-time data, this product is all about that massive display.
- Weather forecast and seasonal foliage tree icons
- Indoor and outdoor temperature and humidity with trend arrows & alerts
- Wi-Fi compatible - La Crosse View ready
- Fully calendar with date & weekday
- 5 level backlight brightness settings
Perhaps the most impressive feature of the Ecowitt isn’t the 0.1C temperature sensor resolution, but the companion app that comes with the device. ECOWITT makes a product geared towards the person who feels at home with graphs and charts and wants to collect data from multiple streams. The app gives you information on the outdoor temperature, indoor temperature, atmospheric pressure, wind speed, wind gust speed, particulates, rain rate, and much, much more. And because it records all of the data it collects, you’re able to view charts and lay one on top of another.
So who is the GW1000 for? Primarily, it’s for those who need a troubleshooting tool. The ECOWITT provides you with so much data that it’s easy to find out why conditions might be changing more than you want in a particular area. Again, it’s a great tool if you’re trying to look after animals.
The only downside is that if you want to measure every aspect of the weather, you have to buy accessories sold separately. Other than that, this is a solid choice and provides you with all of the data you could want with high accuracy.
- WIFI Weather Station Gateway: Receives ecowitt sensor data from external sensors (sold separately): outdoor temperature and humidity, multi-channel (max 8) temperature and humidity, rain, wind, soil moisture(max 8), PM2.5(max 4) and so on; Allowing you to remote monitor weather data on our free WS View APP
- Live Data on APP: Makes all sensor data available to mobile application (WS View for iOS or Android) on your local network(only supports 2.4GHz band WiFi); Mobile application is also used for local viewing of sensor data, and to assist in configuration of services
- Graph & History Records on the Website: supported to upload all the sensors data to our free Ecowitt Weather server(ecowitt.net) to view all the data graph / download history records / set Email alerts for all the sensors on the website
- Other Supported Weather Servers: Supports uploads outdoor sensor data to weather underground, weathercloud and WOW; enables you to view historical records from your WU station(outdoor temperature, humidity, wind, rain)
- 3-In-1 Probe Sensor: Built-in temperature, humidity and atmospheric pressure sensor (3FT/1M cabled probe attached to the gateway); Small size(0.47x1.38x2.44") and compact design
The Basics Of Using A Wireless Thermometer
There are many different uses for Wifi Thermometers, but the most common use is monitoring garden/greenhouse conditions. This video talks about the basics of using one for this purpose: