The 7 Best VHS to DVD Converters Reviewed
Almost anyone who lived through the ’90s has a box of VHS tapes stored somewhere. Whether these contain reruns of your favorite TV show or precious family memories, odds are they’re just gathering dust in your attic or basement. If you’re looking to relive your cherished family memories, or are just looking to save on buying yet another copy of Top Gun, getting a VHS to DVD converter can help you preserve the contents of these tapes, without taking up nearly as much space. Transferring VHS video to DVD not only allows you to compact your storage space, but it also allows you to transfer those videos to your computer or the cloud, allowing you to back them up against any disasters, ensuring those memories will be able to be enjoyed for years to come.
While it may seem daunting to transfer your old VHS tapes onto DVDs, thankfully there are plenty of options on the market to make this process easier than ever. Not only do these devices allow you to ensure your videos last for years to come, but the digitization process is also relatively painless and easy to do. Of course, there are a few things you’ll need to consider before purchasing a VHS to DVD converter. The first is the software needed for the project. Obviously, many converters come with their own software to make it easier than ever to transfer your videos to a digital format, but you should also keep in mind that some software programs allow you to edit the videos or add transitions, allowing you to cut out things like commercials from your favorite TV recordings, or leave out weird Great Uncle Bob’s drunk wedding toast. If you’re looking to just change formats without any of these features, you can invest in a simpler VHS to DVD converter but keep these things in mind before making your purchases.
Depending on what kind of VHS tape you’re looking to transfer, you may be up against some copy protection features that make transferring the video next to impossible. If this is the case, you’ll need to invest in a converter that can work around these protections, so you can successfully back up these videos. Thankfully, if you’re just dealing with home movies you shouldn’t have to worry too much about these added precautions, but it’s always better to be safe than sorry.
Finally, you want to check the output of the converter before starting the process. This can influence things like pixelation and audio quality, as well as conversion speed. If you’re looking to convert one or two VHS tapes this might not be that much of an issue, but if you find yourself staring down your entire Star Trek collection, you may want to invest in a faster converter that can maintain the same quality throughout.
Best VHS to DVD Converters
Now that we’ve gone ahead and given you the basics of what to look for in a converter, here are our top 7 picks for best VHS to DVD converters available on the market. We’ve taken several factors into consideration, including the ease of use, quality of the product, overall price, customer reviews, and video quality, so you can shop with confidence knowing you’re getting the best of the best. Without further ago, here are the top 7 VHS to DVD converters on the market today.
If you’re looking to convert VHS video to digital, this is an incredibly easy method that will help you transform your treasured recordings into high-quality video files that can then be burned to DVD or stored on your Mac, PC, or iPad, depending on your preference. This handy device is not only compact and easy to use, but it also comes with video editing software that will make cleaning up your home videos easier than ever. On top of the helpful hints provided by the program itself, this converter helps you prep your videos for editing in other video editing programs, making it ideal for any compilations you may have in mind for the future. This device captures videos in H.264 digital format, making it perfect for uploading projects to YouTube or other platforms. Not only can it handle NTSC, SECAM, PAL, and PAL/60 videos, it boasts a resolution of 640×480 (4:3) and 640×360 (16:9), giving you more capture options.
The real upside of this converter is how easy it is to use. This product works using USB 2.0, allowing it to work with most iPads, Macs, and Windows devices, depending on the versions and current updates. Thanks to the four-input system, you can easily transfer video from your VHS tapes using a regular VCR, making it that much easier to keep all your videos in one location. This product is an incredible deal and boasts over 4,000 customer reviews which are overwhelmingly positive. One customer noted that the average cost of getting your VHS tapes converted through an online service is $20 a pop, meaning this handy device will save you money in the long run. It is worth noting some customers did mention this product was a little tricky to get to work with Windows 10, so be sure to keep that in mind before investing. Still, this is an incredible VHS to DVD converter that will preserve your home videos without causing you undue frustration.
- Transfer video from a VCR or other analog video source to your Mac or PC
- Put family memories and family videos on your computer
- Easy-to-use software guides you through every step and turns your analog into digital
- Captures video in the universal H.264 digital format – ready for iPad, iMovie, Windows Live Movie Maker, and YouTube
- World-ready; handles NTSC, SECAM, PAL and PAL/60 video
The first selling point of this product is that it works for both Mac and Windows devices, making it ideal for almost any digitization situation. The VIDBOX Video Conversion Suite comes with a USB video capture device, USB cable, RCA cables, software installation CD, and a quick start guide, to help you get everything you need to convert your tapes in one convenient location. It is worth noting that you will need your own VCR to complete the digitization process, but overall this product is a dream for video conversion. This product can handle video resolutions of 720×480 and 640×480 and can output as DVD, MPEG-2, MP4, and MOV files, giving you plenty of options to choose from. It supports NTSC, PAL, and SECAM formats, and offers you instructions in English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish.
Not only does this incredible product offer support for countless formats, but it also comes with the software you need to transfer your favorite VHS tapes into new formats perfect for sharing on social media or saving for enjoyment by future generations. Customers raved about how easy it was to transfer their tapes over with this device, and while some did note it took a bit of time to transfer over each tape, the end results were well worth the added wait time. If you’re looking for a great way to easily transfer your home movies to your computer or share them with loved ones, this is a great product for you.
- NOTE: The VIDBOX Video Conversion Suite product includes two software download cards that include the Product Key license and download links for each software - one for Windows, one for Mac
- Supports both Windows PC and Mac. What's in the box: USB video capture device, USB Cable, RCA AV Cable, 2 Quick Start Guides, 2 Software Download Cards
- Capture old VHS, Beta, 8 mm or camcorder tapes and convert them to DVD or other digital formats
- Great for novice users: Step-by-step pictorial instructions guide you through the process. Capture old VHS, Beta, 8 mm or camcorder tapes and convert them to DVD or other digital formats
- Mac system requirements: Compatible Video Players: VCR (VHS, Betamax, S-VHS), camcorder (8mm, DV, mini DV, HDV, AVCHD), TV, DVD player, game console and more. PC System Requirements: Other VCR or camcorder for video conversion, DVD Writer for DVD burning, Other player-specific cables as needed
Let’s start off by saying this is probably the most compact video capture device on our list. By connecting RCA cables directly to a USB 2.0 device, you can easily transfer your videos to your computer in just a few simple steps. This product comes with easy-to-use video software to help ensure your VHS tapes don’t lose any quality during conversion, allowing you to convert your videos with confidence knowing you won’t lose any treasured memories. This product supports NTSC/PAL formats, as well as high-quality video resolutions of 720×480 at 30 FPS for NTSC, and 720×576 at 25 FPS for PAL. With input formats including DVD+/-R/RW, DVD+/=VR, and DVD-Video, as well as output formats including DV, AVI, MPEG, WMV, VCD, and DVD, this is your one-stop-shop for all things video.
With over 500 customer reviews, this is one of the best compact VHS to DVD converters on the market. Customers did note this product worked better with Windows systems before Windows 10 but could run on Windows 10 with a little extra effort. Some reviewers noted that the USB unit may start to overheat if used with an incredibly warm computer, so it was best to ensure good airflow during use. Still, if you’re looking for a great product that streamlines the video conversion process, the UCEU USB 2.0 Video Audio Capture Card Device Adapter is a great choice for you.
- Video Capture Device-Connect the analog signal video recorder with your PC/Laptop and Achieve the conversion to digital signal
- Video Capture Card-Capture High-quality Video & Audio through popular USB 2.0 interface and not need external power
- Vhs to DVD Converter-Support for most formats: record in DVD+/-R/RW,DVD/-VR,and DVD-Video
- Support Brightness, Contrast, Hue, and Saturation Control. The product key is on the installation file. It's placed in the "SN" file.
- Support ShowBiz 3.5 software and OBS Studio software. Capture audio without the sound card. The product key is on the installation file. It's placed in the "SN" file. Besides, the product key is also printed on the mini CD itself. Any questions about our product, please feel free to contact us
If you’re looking to skip the jump to DVD entirely, this is the converter for you. This product allows you to convert RCA inputs into digital easily without the use of a computer. By recording your video directly to an SD card or USB stick, this product allows you to skip the hassle of working with a DVD burner, and instead go straight to digital. Not only does this product work with VHS tapes, but it can also work on cassette tapes, retro gaming systems, DVDs, DVRs, and more, making it an incredible option for anyone looking to make the jump to digital. The included preview screen helps you monitor your video quality while you record, and also allow you to easily pause, increase volume, and more from the easy-to-use control menu. As a bonus, this product has an auto shut off feature that will stop recording at set time intervals, allowing you to leave it running knowing you won’t exceed your memory space. This makes it ideal for recording your favorite shows for later or setting to convert videos while you sleep, without worrying about wasting energy or ending early.
This product comes with a yearlong warranty, making it a great investment for everyone from those looking to save their old VHS tapes to YouTubers looking to record retro let’s plays. Customers did note that USB3 drives may cause recording problems, so you may have to switch to SD recordings. Still, this product is an exceptional VHS to digital conversion option for anyone looking to make the jump to digital.
- Convert Your Old Video Tapes or Camcorder Tapes to Digital Format With The Touch of a Button (Recording Resolution: SD 720x480 Pixels. Not Intended For Modern HD Video Sources.)
- Record and Digitalize Video From VHS, VCR's, DVD Players, DVR's, Camcorders, Hi8, & Retro Gaming Systems (Note: a Working VCR/Camcorder is Required and Not Included. Does Not Play VHS/Camcorder Tapes. Check Condition of Your VCR/Camcorder/Tapes Before Purchasing!)
- No Computer or Software Required - Just Hook It Up & Start Recording - Records Videos Directly Onto Any USB Flash Drive or SD Card (Not Included)
- What's New In The Video2Digital(R) Version 2.0 (Second Generation): Extra-Large 3.5" Preview Screen, Better Recording Quality, Improved Audio/Video Sync Protection, Auto Stop Feature (60, 90, 120, 150 Minutes), Mobile-Friendly MP4 Recording Format, & Pause/Resume While Recording
- Includes Full 1-Year Warranty & Tech Support from ClearClick, a USA-Based Company
If we handed out awards for VHS to DVD converters, this would be in the running for “coolest design.” This sleek little device allows you to transfer video and audio from almost any analog source. You read that right; whether you’re looking to capture VHS, VCR, Hi8, DVD, or TV Box inputs, this device does it all and gives you the added bonus of working on both Windows and Mac devices. By capturing video in H.264 digital format, this device allows you to use your newly captured video and audio pretty much anywhere, whether you’re looking to work on things in movie maker, or are ready to upload a new YouTube video. This device works with NTSC, SECAM, PAL, and PAL/60 video, and can also convert LPs and cassettes to CD and MP3 format, making it great for converting your classic playlists to digital.
One of the best upsides to this video converter is the added software that is not only easy to use, it offers you the tools you need to edit your videos. This allows you to reduce background noise, stabilize shaky cam, fix color issues, and even add transition effects, allowing you to get professional-quality videos at the click of a button. If you’re looking for an easy way to get the most out of your old VHS tapes, this is the right capture converter for you.
- Transfer/Capture Video and Audio from Almost Any Analog Video Source (VHS/VCR/Hi8/DVD/TV BOX) to Your Mac(except for MAC OS 10.14 and above) or PC(XP/Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10 32bit&64bit )
- Captures Video in the Universal H.264 Digital Format – Ready for Windows Live Movie Maker, and YouTube.World-ready; Handles NTSC, SECAM, PAL and PAL/60 video
- Convert LPs and Audio Cassettes to CD or MP3 Format, Identifying Tracks Automatically to add Title, Artist, and Genre Information
- Create Polished Videos with Professional-grade Tools for Reducing Video Noise, Stabilizing Shaky Video, Color Correction, Transition Effects, and more. Split Videos to Span Across Multiple DVDs for Sharing or Storage
- Comes with Digitnow! Video Capture, Composite-to-SCART Adapter, Composite video/RCA Stereo Cable
If it’s analog, the UCUE USB 2.0 Video Capture Card Device can convert it. This product doesn’t care if you’re working with Windows or Mac, this easy-to-use video converter allows you to capture your favorite family memories in the universal H.264 digital format, allowing you to transfer videos to your iPad, or almost any movie maker software available. This converter gives you the option of working with a DVD burner or other products to change your VHS tapes into modern formats or keep them as digital files safe from deterioration and decay. This is one of the easier video converters on our list, with a convenient software disc to help you get the program up and running, and an extended cable to make it easier than ever to transfer your videos to digital.
One of the biggest upsides of this product is the 24-hour online technical support to help walk you through the process, so you don’t have to worry about the ins and outs of video conversion. If you’re looking for a simple solution to all those VHS tapes piled up in your home, this is the video conversion device for you, hands down.
- EASY TO USE: You can Transfer video from a VCR or other analog video source to your Mac or PC.
- ANALOG VIDEO SOLUTION: Put family memories and family videos on your computer, Super Easy-to-use software guides you through every step and turns your analog into digital. If you use MacBook, you can capture video, edit video. The included software is for Windows system.
- ALL IN ONE: Captures video in the universal H.264 digital format – works for iPad, Windows Live Movie Maker, and YouTube. Transfer them to DVD and other digital formats, such as AVI, MPEG2, MPEG4 and MP3(Audio only) to preserve your vinyl records in digital format.
- PACKAGE INCLUIDE: UCEC All in One Video Capture, User Manual, Disc with the software, Composite Connection.
- TECHNICAL SUPPORT: UCEC provides 24-hour online technical support and 1 YEAR money back. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.
This video converter takes the ideal of plug-and-play to heart. Made to work with RCA and S-Video outputs, and usable with all Windows systems, this converter allows you to convert NTSC and PAL video into digital. This product doesn’t restrict you to just VHS tapes, either. You can also convert Hi-8 and V8 cameras and home movies, and easily burn them to DVD for compact storage. While it is worth noting you may need an additional RCA cable to use this device depending on your VCR, this product contains all the basic tools you need to preserve your favorite VHS tapes for later use. With DVD and MPEG2 formats available, this product is a good baseline product to help walk you through the conversion process. And if you’re having any issues with this product, they offer phone support to help walk you through the steps without any frustration. While this may not be the fanciest converter on our list, this product makes preserving family memories and your favorite movies easier than ever, making it an excellent investment in the long run.
- 【Wide Compatibility】Compatible with all Windows system :Windows XP / 7 / 8 / 10 Supports NTSC, PAL video capture. Not support Mac!
Frequently Asked Questions About VHS to DVD Converters
Do I Need iMovie or Another Video Program to Convert VHS Tapes?
In short, every program on our list offers the software you need to easily convert your VHS tapes into digital formats. The only time you may need additional software (or hardware) is if you are looking to burn DVDs or are looking to edit your home videos. In many cases, these products come with their own simple video editing programs, which are fine for home videos. However, if you are looking for professional-quality effects, you may want to invest in another video editing program.
Do VHS to DVD Converters Come with VCRs?
The easy answer is no, most converters require that you have your own VCR or other video input source in order to play the tape. Thankfully, this means that most converters are able to work with anything that uses RCA cables, though there are some exceptions with each product that is worth looking into. On the bright side, if your VCR has bit the dust or you are looking for a replacement unit, you can usually find used players at thrift stores or cheaply online.
How Does a VCR Work?
Sure you may know how to play a VHS tape, and may be a master of “be kind rewind,” but do you know how the VCR works? If you’re interested in the incredible feat of engineering required to play a VHS tape, check out this video below: