The 5 Best Solar Attic Fans Reviewed
Attic ventilation is vital if you want to protect the structure of your property and minimize the amount of energy you’re using. With the best solar attic fan, you can ventilate your attic space with no running costs, maintain the structural integrity of the building and increase energy efficiency too.
You may have noticed that the attic is usually the warmest part of your home. Whilst in-built vents can provide a small amount of ventilation, there is nothing to force the warm air out of the attic. By installing a solar attic fan, you can increase air movement and force hot air out of the attic.
As a result, the temperature in your attic will be reduced and you’ll find it far easier to maintain a comfortable temperature in the rest of the property too. With less reliance on air conditioning, you can even reduce the cost of your energy bills and benefit from more eco-friendly property maintenance.
Best Solar Attic Fans
1. Natural Light Solar Attic Fan 36-wattMade from stainless steel, aluminum, and glass, the Natural Light Solar Attic Fan 36-watt is built to last. With a 25-year limited warranty, you can rely on Natural Light’s Solar Attic Fan to provide effective ventilation for years to come.
This unit moves air at up to 1628 cubic feet per minute under direct sun and the manufacturer recommends using one ventilation unit for every 2625 square feet of attic space. For most family homes, just one 36-watt attic fan will provide enough ventilation to adequately maintain the temperature of the attic space.
Once installed, the Natural Light model relies entirely on solar power, so there’s no running costs or tricky wiring to worry about. Measuring 27.2 x 27.2 x 11.5 inches, the attic fan comes with everything needed for installation, although optional extras are available for tiled roofs. As well as lying flat, the solar panel can be adjusted up to a 45-degree angle, which enables you to capture maximum power.
Although the Natural Light Solar Attic Fan offers great ventilation and is high quality, it does come at a relatively high price. Available for around $457, the Natural Light Solar Attic Fan doesn’t come cheap. However, the vast majority of users find that it does drastically reduce attic temperatures and even has a noticeable impact on other areas of the property.
Suitable for pitched Fiberglass-Asphalt Shingle roofs, this model can be used on 3/12 to 12/12 but isn’t appropriate for flat roofs or wall mounting. Whilst optional fire safety switches and snap-on thermostats are available, these must be purchased separately, which could put some customers off. With a 25-year warranty and stellar customer reviews, however, the Natural Light Solar Attic Fan could be one of the best on the market.
- New powerful 48-Watt model - Moves up to 1881 cubic feet per minute under full direct sun for up to 2825 square feet of attic space.
- Industry Leading 25-year limited warranty on entire unit.
- Highest quality materials in any Solar Attic Fan on the market. Made in USA.
2. iLIVING Smart Exhaust Solar Roof FanMeasuring 21 x 21 x 10 inches and offering ventilation for attic spaces up to 2000 square feet, the iLIVING Smart Exhaust Solar Roof Fan is powerful and durable. Whilst its 20-watt powered solar fan isn’t the most powerful on the market, it’s certainly sufficient to ventilate up to 2000 square feet of space. Furthermore, it moves air at approx. 1750 cubic feet per minute, which is a higher rate than many other solar fans on the market.
Buyers benefit from a 15-year warranty when they purchase the iLIVING Smart Exhaust Solar Roof Fan and there are various add-on features you can opt for too. With the option to add an AC power supply and screen guard, you can customize this set up to suit your needs. However, add-on features must be purchased separately, which is slightly disappointed given the $346.27 price tag.
Despite this, the iLIVING Smart solar fan could be a great choice for your attic. The product is advertised with a Smart thermostat which optional enable/disable feature, to give you complete control of the fan, as well as an IP68 waterproof brushless motor. With the option to adjust the solar panel to 0, 15, 30 and 45 degrees, you can capture as much power as you need to keep your attic well ventilated and free from moisture.
- Comes with smart thermostat control 65-130f with enable/disable feature
- Ip68 water proof brushless motor, 15 year warranty
- Adjustable solar panel (0°/15°/30°/45°), 20W, 1750Cfm, up to 2000 cool sq. ft. off capacity
3. HQST Solar Powered Roof Mount Adjustable Attic FanThe HQST Solar Powered Roof Mount Adjustable Attic Fan is one of the most versatile options on the market, so you should find it easy to install on almost any type of roof. Suitable for use on sloped, wood, asphalt shingle, metal, tiled and flat roofs, the HQST attic fan is a great addition to any property.
With just 15-watt of power, however, this attic fan has limited power than some other models and the manufacturer recommends one unit is used for every 1076 square feet of attic space. Despite this, the unit benefits from a waterproof rating of IP68, a brushless motor, and an aluminum rust-free design.
Constructed to be leak-proof, dustproof and maintenance-free, the HQST Solar Powered Roof Mount Adjustable Attic Fan is available at around $259.99. Cheaper than many other attic fans, the HQST model could be fantastic value for money.
However, some buyers have noticed that the fans only operate when the solar panel is in direct sunlight, rather than storing power from the sun and running for longer periods. Depending on your needs, this may not put you off the HQST model and, if so, it may be an excellent, budget-friendly option when it comes to ventilating your attic.
- IP68 brushless DC motor.
- All-in-one unit that is designed to lower the temperature of your attic.
- Built-in 15watt panel maintains a strong air flow that makes this a great product for proper attic ventilation.
4. Amtrak Solar 40-Watt Galvanized Steel Solar Attic FanAlthough the Amtrak Solar 40-Watt Galvanized Steel Solar Attic Fan is sold as one unit, the solar panel and fan can be installed in separate locations. Whilst you’ll want to position the solar panel where it can get the most sunlight, you may refer to place the blade elsewhere in your attic space.
If so, you’ll find the 15’ of extra wiring and quick connect fitting will come in handy during the installation. Whilst the thought of installing two separate elements may be off-putting, the Amtrak design does have a number of benefits. Unlike many other attic fans, you won’t need to create a hole in the attic to fit it.
The 40-watt solar panel generates more power than many other attic fans, which means it can keep the 12-volt DC fan powered easily. The High Efficiency Fan Blade sits within 14” housing and is produced by well-known manufacturer, Revor.
Known for quality solar fans, Amtrak have certainly delivered with this model. Whilst its unique design is perfect for household attics, it can also be used on greenhouses, RVs, sheds, and garages. With efficient and effective cooling power, the Amtrak Solar 40-Watt Galvanized Steel Solar Attic Fan is designed to start working as soon as the sun hits the solar panel and run all day.
Buyers typically report a noticeable cooling effect in their property, which significant temperature drops in the attic itself. Available for around $159.95, the Amtrak Galvanized Steel Solar Attic Fan is fantastic value for money. With a budget-friendly price, superior quality and great functionality, the Amtrak solar attic fan is an all-round great choice.
- ( High efficancy fan blade ) New 14” Fan Housing with 10” High Efficiency fan blade. Enough to open louver. Easy to install with quick-connect wires. Reversible push and pull fan.
- ( Numerous Applications ) For gable vent, greenhouse, garage, shed, cabin or RV. Includes 15’ of extra wire and brackets.
- ( High Torque Motor ) Features sealed ball bearing and Thermal protected fan motor with fully balanced high efficiency fan blades for low noise level and long life. Covers areas up to 2250 Sq. Ft.
5. Rand Solar Powered Attic Fan
For smaller attic spaces, the Rand Solar Powered Attic Fan might be just what you need. Capable of ventilating attic spaces measuring up to 700 square feet, this Rand model will work well in conjunction with extra units or in smaller environments.
However, it does only move air at 435 cubic feet per minute, which is significantly less than other models. Although this should offer adequate ventilation in smaller attics, it won’t be effective in large roof spaces.
With just 8 watts of power, the Rand Solar Powered Attic Fan isn’t designed for maximum performance. Whilst you’ll be impressed with its functionality if you stick to the 700 max. capacity guidelines, you may be disappointed if you try and install this in anywhere larger.
Furthermore, the fan is only designed to spin when the sun is shining directly on the solar panel, instead of conserving solar energy and running the fan for longer periods. This should provide enough ventilation to protect your attic from extreme temperatures, but it may not cool the rest of the property as much as you would like.
However, it does feature a high efficiency long-life brushless motor, which is designed to work even in overcast weather conditions. This means you won’t have to wait for bright sunshine for the fan to kick in, which does increase its functionality somewhat.
Constructed from high-impact, heavy-duty ABS plastic, the Rand Solar Powered Attic Fan should stand up to almost any weather conditions. With no risk of corrosion, you can be confident that this model from Rand will stand the test of time. What’s more – buyers benefit from a 20-year parts warranty, so you can access assistance if a fault does occur.
Advertised as a compact fan, the Rand Solar Panel Attic Fan does exactly what it advertises. For smaller attics, sheds, dog kennels, boats, greenhouses and campers, it’s the ideal source of ventilation. Furthermore, its budget-friendly price of just $74.95 makes it a cheap and cheerful choice for smaller spaces.
- Always runs on free solar power. If the Sun is shining on the solar panel, the fan will be spinning.
- Drastically cuts your cooling bill. Pays for itself in a VERY short time, good for the environment.
- Ventilates up to 700 square feet of attic space with its 435 CFM capacity. For installations with larger space or higher heat load, you can install more fans or use one of our larger 30W or 40W rooftop fans.
Do Solar Attic Fans Actually Work?
You may be wondering if attic fans are worth the purchase price. Do they really lower the attic temperature enough to make a difference? This video does some tests to find the answer to this question:
Hi, I am Charles your local Home Tech and Gadget Expert. I’ve been fascinated with electricity for as long as I can remember. I grew up in an old home in a rural setting, so the quality and continuity of our electrical service were spotty at best.
Spending time without power (or running off a generator) gave me a lot of appreciation for the benefits of electricity. I love writing and talking about it.