The 5 Best Retractable Extension Cord Reels Reviewed
Don’t you just hate it when your extension cord gets tangled up?
You end up spending a ridiculous amount of time untangling your cord, getting all the knots out of it, and then dragging it to wherever you need power.
Then after you are done with it you need to drag it back in while trying to loop it up around your arm, or just throw it in a pile if you are in a hurry.
The whole process completely kills any level of efficiency and productivity you might have had. And that is not to mention the safety hazard you cause as people may trip over the cord.
The good news is you can easily fix those issues by using a good retractable extension cord.
With one of these devices, you can mount the piece of equipment out of the way and ensure that cords are off the ground where people could trip over them.
You can keep the work area tidy and guarantee that you don’t have to worry about the possibility of the chord getting completely tangled up. It’s a fast, practical solution, and you’ll wonder why you didn’t hang one up sooner.
We go over each of the items in our retractable extension cord reel buyer’s guide below, but for those in a hurry here are the units we reviewed:
Best Retractable Extension Cord Reels
So, let’s look at the best retractable extension cord reels on the market that you can and certainly should consider.
1. Iron Forge Cable Retractable Extension Cord ReelThe Iron Forge Cable Retractable Extension Cord Reel provides forty feet of extension cord reel, this item is going to be suitable for most workspaces and it does have some clever features. It can easily be attached to the wall or any surface that you want and is designed with a handle too. This makes it easy to carry to different places and is particularly useful if you’re going to be operating it in an outdoor location. An automatic retraction system will mean that you won’t have to worry about issues with having to wind up the cord reel once you are finished with a job.
One of the big benefits of this device is that it can be mounted anywhere including on a ceiling or wall as long as you find the stud. It can be added anywhere up to nineteen inches away from the power outlet. You can also use another extension to connect it.
The device also has a stopper that is easily adjustable and can be moved into any position that you need. Once again, this ensures that the device provides a high level of flexibility and will be suitable for a wide range of different uses.
The device is also incredibly tough and durable. As such, you should have no issue using it in a range of different environments and it’s particularly suitable for outdoor use. If you are mounting the device, you’ll find this simple as well. In fact, you can get it set up in just a couple of minutes. You may require your own screws to position it in place securely for a long period, however, these can be bought from virtually any hardware store.
2. Flexzilla ZillaReel 50 ft. Retractable Extension Cord ReelIf you are looking for a longer option, then the Flexzilla ZillaReel Retractable Extension Cord Reel 50 feet piece of equipment by Flexzilla could be your best choice. There are several unique benefits of this device including a light-up triple outlet as well as a mounting bracket that allows the device to rotate. This provides a higher level of flexibility than some of the other options available on the market.
The device also provides a longer cord to plug in, offering approximately six feet. This once again adds a higher level of flexibility and ensures that you can fit it wherever you need. You can also leave the device plugged in while you pull out the cord at the other end. The device does have safety features that ensure that this is not dangerous and with a one year warranty, you don’t have to worry about the device failing.
Another benefit is that the mounting bracket that this device comes with is easy to remove. As such, you don’t have to worry about any difficulty fitting it to the wall or the ceiling. The device also comes with all the pieces and equipment you will need to complete this process yourself.
This company also provides a fantastic level of customer support. So, if you do have any issues with the device or you need a repair, you’ll find that this won’t be a problem. They will quickly send out the replacement that you need in most cases.
The device also snaps back rapidly and as such, there’s no need to wait for minutes for the cord to return into the casing. It will also easily reach anywhere you need it to in a typical sized garage.
3. Bayco SL-800 Retractable Metal Cord ReelIf you don’t need fifty feet of cord reel, then you might want to consider this, far more compact choice. The Bayco SL-800 Retractable Metal Cord Reel provides thirty feet of extension cord and will be suitable for most garages. It also gives you three different outlets, ensuring that it can be used for a wide range of different pieces of equipment at the same time. You can still attach the device to the ceiling or wall and it comes with all the equipment that you will need to do this.
The device does provide a ball that is completely adjustable which means that you can use it with higher ceilings. This ensures that it will be suitable for a wide range of different garages and areas. Another great benefit is that it can be suitable for a wide range of different applications that you might need around the room. This includes everything from portable fans to basic DIY equipment.
You will also be pleased to hear that despite the low cost, this is a quality build. You won’t have to worry about the product failing you after a couple of months. In fact, if you use this product, you’ll find that it lasts for years without any issues at all. You just need to be careful that you don’t draw the cord out beyond its maximum. There is no reset circuit breaker and no replaceable fuse.
Ultimately, this cord will be perfect if you are working in an average-sized space and want to make sure that you can run multiple devices at the same time. It’s easy to operate and will be perfect if you want to make sure that you can keep your cord on the ceiling and out of the way.
4. TACKLIFE 50+4.5ft Retractable Extension Cord ReelThe TACKLIFE 50+4.5ft Retractable Extension Cord Reel is another device that provides you with the option of easily and quickly being able to swivel the device to match your needs. This will ensure that you can find the perfect setup for your individual requirements and with over 50ft you will always have enough cord for a wide variety of uses. The device is suitable for mounting in a wide range of places and the bracket design ensures that it can be easily removed as well.
This device is also tough and durable enough to be used outdoors, even in cold weather. Although, you might find that in extreme cases the plastic on the device might crack. The rewind mechanism is also fantastic. All you need to do to activate this is pull slightly on the cord and it will immediately return inside the casing.
This device does not allow you to choose a different cord and use it in the same casing. However, with fifty feet, there’s no need for this possibility anyway. The full length of the cord provides more than enough for the typical needs that you might have.
This product does offer a heavy-duty design and as such will be perfect for use in a garage. It blends into the background too which means that it could be suitable for a shop floor. You also won’t need to adjust the stop, even if you do have a ceiling that is higher than average.
5. Reelcraft LD2030-143-9 Spring Driven Cord ReelWith thirty feet of cord, you do get three different sockets with the Reelcraft LD2030-143-9 Spring Driven Cord Reel . This ensures that you don’t have to worry about only being able to operate on a piece of equipment at a time. Another big benefit is that this device is compact. That means that you can attach it anywhere without any issue at all and it will look fantastic. The steel body also ensures that this product is tough and durable. As such, it will be suitable for a wide range of different uses, even in extreme environments.
One of the key features with this device is that you can reset the circuit breaker. Ultimately, this means if you pull the cord out too far and it no longer retracts then all you need to do is flick the switch. The device will start working again immediately. This guarantees that pulling out the cord too far doesn’t lead to you needing to replace the whole device.
This is a quality device and is built to endure absolutely anything. You could even mount this outside if you required and it will stand the test of time. The device also comes with everything you need to mount it the right way and ensure that it does stay in place.
It’s also suitable for a variety of devices, including options that are well known for using a lot of power. You can also pull it out to the full length without having to worry that it will stop working.
DIY Retractable Extension Cord Reel
One alternative to buying a new retractable reel is to modify an existing extension cord storage reel to make it retractable. Here is a good YouTube video showing you how to do that:
The video modifies this storage reel to make it retractable.
We hope this helps you find the best retractable extension cord reel for your needs, whether you need one for the home or work environment.
Hi, I am Charles your local Home Tech and Gadget Expert. I’ve been fascinated with electricity for as long as I can remember. I grew up in an old home in a rural setting, so the quality and continuity of our electrical service were spotty at best.
Spending time without power (or running off a generator) gave me a lot of appreciation for the benefits of electricity. I love writing and talking about it.