Top Pool Lights Reviewed
If you own a pool in your backyard then you may have tried to use it at night. However, unless your pool was installed with lightning options from the beginning, you’ll probably find it difficult to use unless there’s a lot of sunlight. Even having exterior lights that point at your pool usually isn’t enough. Low-light conditions don’t make for an enjoyable experience in the pool, hence why it’s important to consider purchasing pool lights for your pool.
Pool lights come with many different benefits. For starters, they illuminate the pool which makes it safer, easier and more fun to use during the evening or at night. This makes your pool more viable for a nighttime swim or a bit of late-night exercise before you go to bed. Pool lights can also enhance the aesthetics of your pool to create a unique mood and also enhance water effects such as waves or even small waterfalls.
Thanks to the popularity of these pool lights, more and more choices have been made available for purchase. In fact, pool lights can now be separated into three categories; floating pool lights, solar pool lights, and underwater pool lights. Below, we’ve included three recommendations for each category and also added a brief description to help you understand what they’re used for.
We go over each light below in our pool lighting buyers guide. But for those in a hurry, here are our top picks in each category:
Best Floating Pool Lights
Floating pool lights, as the name suggests, floats on top of the pool. They often come with remote controls and can safely be moved around in the water. This makes them great for party atmospheres or unique modern lighting arrangements. Here are our picks for the best floating pool lights:
The LOFTEK LED Light Ball is a floating pool light that has a number of unique applications. It comes in various different sizes that can be mixed and matched and the included remote control accessory makes it easy to change the color and brightness of the floating LED ball. Because these LED balls are waterproof, they can be used in a pool without damaging the light itself. However, many people have used these lights in and around the home as well thanks to their lightweight construction. You might find yourself purchasing one of these to use as a Christmas decoration or even for a kid’s bedroom.
In terms of using it as a floating pool light, the LOFTEK LED Light Ball is IP68-rated waterproof and uses a rechargeable battery as its power source. This means they can be charged when not in use and then taken out when needed. They’re also free of toxic elements such as lead and mercury, meaning they’re eco-friendly and safe to use around children. Additional accessories, such as a metal hanging ring, can be bought separately to increase the functionality of this floating pool light.
Thanks to the many sizes the LOFTEK LED Light Ball comes in, it’s a well-recommended purchase. It comes in sizes from just 6 inches all the way to 24-inches, meaning you can purchase several sizes for use in your home or pool. It’s durable, there are many color options and lighting modes, and it’s great at lighting up your pool when it’s dark.
- ►Amphibious Orb Light: Excellent waterproof light up ball is not only a glow balls decorating your swimming pool, but also a color-changing ambiance night light to any room, Perfect atmosphere lights decor outdoor and indoor for pool, deck, yard, garden, pathway, lawn, stage, bar, office, wedding, party and festival, etc.
- ►Customizable Colors and Multiple Controls: 16 static RGB colors, 5 brightness adjustments and 4 dynamic lighting modes(FADE, SMOOTH, FLASH, STROBE), cordless design color your life with remote control or press the bottom of the ball, eye-caring LED makes uniform soft color light that doesn't hurt eyes.
- ►Eco-friendly and IP65: The orb shell one-shot molding of toy-grade Polyethylene, completely waterproof and dustproof without any gaps, completely free of UV, IR, lead, mercury, and other toxic elements, ideal for pregnant women and children, furthermore, matte surface makes spherical touches more comfortable.
- ►Longer Lighting and Faster Charging: Upgraded 2200MAh battery with LOFTEK fast-charge technology, up to 10-12 hours of lighting only need 2.8-3.8 hours to be fully charged. If the battery or light bulb life is exhausted, just unscrew the screw on the bottom of the ball and replace the new base to get it back to work like a new ball again. (Base's Asin: B07TYD56SC)
- ►What You Get: 35 days free return and quick refund, 12-month free replacement for product quality issue, and lifetime prompt customer service. Please note: If you need more help, please feel free to contact us and we will always be here to help.
Unlike other pool lights, the Esuper IP68 Floating Pool Light is actually an inflatable option that is 100% solar powered. Once inflated, it can sit on your pool or even be hung around the house or backyard to light up areas. Hanging is made easy thanks to the loop at the top of the light and its lightweight means you can easily move them around. A full charge can give the light roughly 6 to 8 hours of power which means it can be used for long swimming sessions or parties.
However, the light does come with some caveats. Since there’s no remote with this pool light, you can’t manually change the brightness or color of the light. Instead, it automatically changes color after a couple of seconds which can either be a good or bad thing depending on your situation. While it does mean that you don’t need to mess with a remote to control this pool light, it also means there’s less customization which might make it a difficult sell for some people.
Despite this lack of customization, it’s still a fantastic light that shines brightly and looks amazing. Since there’s no included remote or extra circuitry, it does lower the price and you can pick up the Esuper IP68 Floating Pool Lights in a 4-pack. There are also different shapes thanks to the inflatable design so you can create a unique look with your pool.
- 1.【 Solar Powered Rechargeable】 : 100% solar charging LED ball pool light. This floating LED pool lights charging in direct sunlight and illuminate in darkness automatically. Works up to 8 hours after fully charged. What’s more, this floating lamp with red, blue, green, white 4 color Changing every 15 seconds automatically, creating a soft light that won't irritate eyes, and Multi-color alternation gives you an excellent colorful world performance.
- 2.【Inflatable & Floatable】:Our floating solar pool lights is inflatable that floats on the water.It is very simple to inflate the solar ball pool lights,made of vinyl material better than hard plastic LED lights.It is not only beautiful easy to use,but also floats on the water could decorate the pond and create stunning effect. Also these solar pool lights are much more durable,sturdy enough to toss them around, enjoy the pool game,perfect for kids bathing time.
- 3.【IP68 Waterproof & Weather Resistance】: Compared to other floating glow balls pool light, Ours has excellent waterproof function and can even be placed directly in the swimming pool for all terrible weather and environments. You can use it in the pool , garden,indoors and outdoors.
- 4.【Universally Useful and Practical】:Solar led glow pool lights floats on water to create a perfect atmosphere for parties and gatherings. It is also suitable for your landscaping, weddings, ponds, parties, festival decorations especially Christmas.
- 5.【Guarantee】: Esuper Floating LED ball pool light promises 1 year warranty! If you meet any quality problem within 12 month, please feel free to contact our customer service. We guarantees that free replacement for any product with quality problem.
The ALTZ Premium Floating Pool Lights are inflatable pool lights with an automatic color cycle. Its bright and vibrant color makes it stand out in any swimming pool and they’re light enough to be moved around with ease. They’re charged with direct sunlight which means that they don’t require external charging. On a full charge, there’s enough power for the lights to run for 6 hours which is more than enough for most parties. It’s also created with an eco-friendly material so there’s no risk of pollutants leaking into your pool and there’s no danger to children.
Much like the Esuper floating lights, the ALTZ Premium Floating Pool Lights come with a hook on the top of the ball which makes it easy to hang. This means it can be suspended above the pool or even used inside your home. In addition, there’s no remote to change the colors, meaning you’re stuck with the automatic transition mode that changes color every 15 seconds. This makes it easy to operate but does limit the amount of customization it offers.
Overall, the ALTZ Premium Floating Pool Lights are a fantastic option for parties, pools and even indoor decorations. They’re affordable, they’re easy to use and they don’t require charging thanks to their solar-powered operation. When they’re not in use, simply deflate and store them away to be used for another day. It’s a convenient option for even the most dedicated night-time swimmers or party hosts.
- ✔ VERSATILE & TRANSFORMATIVE SPLENDOR- Use ALTZ’s Floating pool lights solar to turn your pool, roadside, party or room into an impressive & glowing fairy tale nightscape to toss around.
- ✔ SOLAR-POWERED … charge our floating pool lights in the sun by day and enjoy their gorgeous colors by night. Shines for up to 6 hours on a full charge, no batteries needed!
- ✔ ECO-FRIENDLY MATERIAL- Our pool party decorations lights are made from 100% recyclable material so they don’t create any waste but continue creating a beautiful world. ALTZ’s solar pool lights is pollution-free and mindful beauty that keeps the planet just as gorgeous!
- ✔ WATERPROOF & WEATHERPROOF- Our solar pool lights is 100% waterproof and fully dust protected. It is usable both indoors and outdoors. Also can hold and withstand even in the middle of heavy rain and wind.
- ✔ INFLATABLE & FLOATABLE- These Solar pool lights are easy to blow and simple to inflates that makes the pool and Jacuzzi light floating on water. It creates a floating light show in your pool and floating ball lamp will secured hanging loop and color change automatically.
Best Solar Pool Lights
Solar pool lights are flat disc-shaped lights that can float on water and also be planted into your lawn. They come with the advantage that they charge automatically whenever there’s sunlight, making it an environmentally-friendly solution that can brighten up your pool with many different colors. Here are our picks for the best solar pool lights:
If you don’t like the idea of a large ball in your pool, then these floating smart solar lights could a sleek alternative. They’re surprisingly small but produce a surprising amount of light thanks to the 18 bright LEDs inside the devices. They can be used both in the pool and even in your lawn to surround your pool. The device itself is IP67 waterproof which means water won’t get inside the shell should it be submerged and it can even withstand up to 100kg of weight, meaning there’s no risk of damaging it or hurting yourself if you walk over it.
As a solar-powered light, it’s recommended to use these at all times. They can absorb sunlight during the day and illuminate your pool for up to 10 hours, making it incredibly energy efficient. It also means you don’t need to charge them so there’s no extra maintenance required. However, it doesn’t come with a remote control and the colors change automatically when something passes over them. You can trick the light into changing color, but if you’re looking to customize the colors to create a unique mood, you might struggle a bit with these lights.
The ionlyou Smart Solar Lights come in a convenient 4-pack which makes it a fantastic value. They’re versatile and can be used in many different situations, so we definitely recommend it as a worthwhile purchase if you’re looking for solar pool lights.
- 🍀 SMART & FLOATABLE: Our smart colorful solar groundl lights,The solar disk garden lights automatically change the RGB color when you pass 6 inch above the solar lights, it will automatically change to warm white mode after 15s.
- 🍀 BRILLIANT LIGHTING EFFECT: The solar garden lights have 18 LED lights,12 warm white lights and 6 RGB lights. Suiting for various environments, decoration and four seasons. Also everyone has 18 LEDs to provide 180LM brightness.
- 🍀 UPGRADE SOLAR ENERGY&LONG WORKING TIME:These solar pathway lights with 18 pcs LEDs, built-in 800mAh rechargeable battery, it only needs 6-8 hours to be fully charged and can last for 10-12 hours working time.These Solar lights automatically turn on in darkness or at night and turn off in daytime or bright area.It can illuminate Above 10 hours with 6-8 hours of charging. (Charging and working time will change depending on the weather)Wiping it regularly with a damp cloth.A dirty panel will red
- 🍀 ADVANCED WATERPROOF DESIGN: IP67 waterproof grade built in external waterproof switch, instead of pinhole switch; Advanced lighting override material with stainless steel lamp shell, suitable for outdoor use, no worries about rain, snow, frost, or sleet;and durable than similar solar lights, enough strong withstand inclement weather and 100KG standing body.
- 🍀 EASILY INSTALL AND WIDELY USED: No wire needs, assemble only 20 seconds, stick this light on your desire location with the include spike. Solar ground light is suitable for your driveway, path, landscape, garden, patio and lawn.
The ESEYE Round Pool Floating Spotlights are solar-powered pool lights that are surprisingly small but powerful in brightness. Since they’re powered by the sun, there’s no charging required which means you can purchase them in bulk, leave them around your pool or garden and have them light up the area. The ESEYE solar pool lights also come with spike attachments which make it easy to stick into your lawn. The extra stability means that they can’t be accidentally moved around, making it a good option for lighting up the border of your pool.
Much like the ionlyou smart solar pool lights, it doesn’t come with a remote control for light customization. Instead, it detects motion above the light and changes color. This means you can somewhat control the light and change the color, but it’s not the most practical thing especially if someone accidentally changes the light while swimming. Despite that, it’s still a colorful way to light up your pool but you may want to consider a different solar pool light if you want full control over the brightness and color of your pool lights.
The ESEYE solar pool lights are very sturdy as well, easily capable of surviving a lawnmower running over it or even someone stepping on it. It’s made with environmentally-friendly components and can easily withstand extreme weather conditions, making it a durable option if you’re looking for a set-and-forget solar pool light.
- ♻ Super Bright Solar Disk Lights --- The brightness of a solar light not only depends on the brightness of the sun and the amount of daylight it is exposed to — but it also depends on the quality of the photovoltaic cells and the size of the LED bulb. ESEYE choose higher-quality photovoltaic cells and 18 larger 5050 LED bulbs (12 warm white led lights and 6 RGB led lights), so our solar path lights outdoor do tend to shine more brightly than other traditional solar disk lights.
- ♻ Most Durable Solar Lights Outdoor --- Classic disc shaped design are made from technical grade PC materials with high transparency, scratch and impact resistance. The high-quality LED generates excellent Lumens and an life of 10,000 hours, apart from giving you effective solutions for night navigation, they also add style and ambience to your backyard. With IP67 waterproof, can put it anywhere in the outdoors as they are capable of withstanding snow, heat, and heavy rains.
- ♻ They’re Eco-Friendly --- Higher-quality photovoltaic cells absorb sunlight during the day to charge the batteries, inner sensor automatically illuminates at dusk. Upgrade RGB solar garden lights have larger battery capacity (800MAH ) with an incredible energy-economy, which means thry can work longer than traditional solar lights, it can work for 10-12h after 6-8 hours of full charging. It's great since you also want a light that is capable of working throughout the night.
- ♻ Where to use Solar Path Lights --- Solar path lights are ideal for illuminating walkways far from exterior outlets, and can provide an enchanting glow along winding garden paths. When pedestrian, leaves or running water through 15cm above the solar garden light, they will automatically switches from warm light to 7 colors modes. After 15 seconds, it returns to warm light mode. No need remote control, ESEYE solar garden light can bring changes and surprises anywhere, anytime.
- ♻ Highlight Pools and Ponds --- Using ESEYE floating solar lights so that you can draw attention to any swimming pools or ponds you might have on your premises. Accidentally falling into one of these can prove extremely dangerous, especially in cold weather it may bring on illness, but hitting your head on the side as you fall could prove fatal. Additionally, lights for a pool can be costly, solar lights can be a great way of providing this feature without spending a fortune.
The kdorrku Solar Waterproof Pool Floating Lights are an excellent option for decorating your pool and backyard. At a diameter of 12cm, these solar pool lights look fairly small but pump out a surprising amount of light given their size. This is thanks to the 18 strong LEDs (6 RGB and 12 warm white) inside each of the lights. The light itself is powered by solar energy and lasts for up to 12 hours on a single charge. While the light can just be left alone to automatically turn on and off, you can save even more energy by switching them off manually on the device so that it charges faster. This is a great option for using these lights during the winter when there’s less sunlight, but we found that the automatic on/off function was good enough.
Since they’re small and portable, they can be used in both the pool and around your backyard. This makes them surprisingly versatile, but it does come with the caveat that the color and brightness can’t be changed manually and instead relies on a motion sensor to change color. Their IP67 waterproof rating means that they won’t be damaged even if they’re submerged in your pool and the bright LEDs do a fantastic job of lighting up your pool.
Overall, we can highly recommend the kdorrku Solar Waterproof Pool Floating Light as a solid solar pool light. It’s a simple light that requires no maintenance and you can simply set them in your pool or on your lawn and forget about them thanks to the automatic charging.
Best underwater pool lights
Underwater pool lights take the most effort to install because they’re typically added to a pool during its construction. However, you can attach underwater pool lights to your pool as long as you have a convenient source of power for them. Since installing these lights takes a bit more effort, you may need a bit of experience with electronics to ensure a safe installation. While it takes more work, they are much brighter than the other alternatives and will illuminate a much larger area of the pool. Here are our choices for the best underwater pool lights:
The Pentair underwater pool light contains some of the brightest LEDs that we’ve ever tried in an underwater pool setting. A single one of these lights can illuminate a massive pool area thanks to the incredibly bright LEDs and it comes with different lengths of cord, making installation a breeze if you know what you’re doing. By switching the light on and off a number of times, you can change the color lighting mode to further personalize your pool. It’s a little strange to change the lights this way, but with no remote functionality, it’s better than not having this option.
One of the most attractive things about the Pentair underwater pool light is how soothing the light is. While customization is somewhat limited compared to varieties with remote controls, it still manages to create a moody swimming pool thanks to its incredibly bright LEDs and warm colors. This is all thanks to the IntelliBrite 5G technology which uses the highest-quality LEDs available on the market. This also means it consumes up to 50% less energy, making it a great option for the environmentally-conscious.
Overall, we can highly recommend the Pentair underwater pool light if you’re looking for a powerful and customizable option. While it might be tricky to install if you’re not experienced, it’s a lot more powerful than other pool light options and is worth the investment.
- Intellibrite 5g technology makes use of the brightest led's available
- A superior reflector design assures more light is evenly spread throughout the spa to further increase intensity and color effects, while minimizing glare
- Works with intellitouch or easytouch control systems, which automates pool and spa equipment and transfers programming and control of intellibrite to a central system that controls all other pool features
- Consumes up to 50% less energy than competitors’ lights
If you’re looking for a bright and affordable underwater pool light, then the Roleadro LED Pool Light might be what you’re looking for. Its IP68 waterproof rating makes it suitable for complete submersion in your pool and the 47W bright LEDs make it capable of lighting up a large area of your pool. The Roleadro LED Pool Light even comes with a remote control which gives you access to a variety of different options including mode change, speed change, and dynamic modes.
The Roleadro LED Pool Light is one of the more reliable options that we’ve seen thanks to its sturdy stainless steel construction and bright RGB LEDs. However, you might find that it can be a little difficult to install if you’re not accustomed to changing pool lights or the wiring involved. Since most underwater pool lights are installed at the time the pool was built, retroactively installing an underwater pool light can be tricky so we definitely recommend you consult a specialist if you’re unsure how to do this.
- ♒ Make your Swimming Pool Colorful: Multiple color and multiple combination colors. 7 static modes, 5 dynamic modes, 10 speed levels for 5 dynamic modes. You can choose any mode you prefer by remote controller, Roleadro Led pool spotlight made your life more colorful.
- ♒ Reliable Quality&IP68 Waterproof: We adopted high-grade stainless steel and excellent silica gel blue circle as lamp body, with excellent waterproof sealing material, so quality is absolutely guaranteed.
- ♒ Super Shinning Branded LED Chips: which make sure the light from this RGB LED swimming pool lamp more uniform and bright.
- ♒ Safe work voltage: 12V / AC. Quality guaranteed by certificate: CE ROHS. (Electronic transformer for 12v is required during installation, which is not included in the package)
- ♒ Warranty and Packaging: 30 days no reason refund and 1-year warranty. Your email will be replied in 12 hours. Package: 1*LED Pool lamps; 1*Remote control; 1*User Manual; 1*6ft Power cord
The CNBRIGHTER LED Underwater Swimming Pool Light is a bright 54W RGB color-changing light that can be surface mounted to the side of your pool. It comes with a remote control that gives you access to the 10 different color settings and can easily be installed as long as you don’t mind having a cable running from the light to a source of power. This can look a bit strange but you can use it as a replacement to existing pool lights with a niche if you understand how to.
In terms of the light itself, it’s made with high-quality materials such as stainless steel and it has an IP68 waterproof rating to protect it from water damage when submerged. It provides a beautifully bright and colorful light for swimming at night and is even bright enough to illuminate a late-night barbecue or party.
Overall, it’s a fantastic option but you may struggle a little with installing it if you want it flush against the wall of your pool. Luckily, it does come with a very long cable to plug it into a power source, but for a cleaner look, you may need to consider installing it into a niche.
- 10 DIFFERENT FULL COLOR SETTINGS : 7 Single Colors + 3 Changing Color Modes-Memory Style Controlled by RF Remote Controller.The light should be located at 1ft-2ft depth below water(Signal disturbing and signal attenuation caused by water will affect signal transmission.)
- GREAT MATERIALS & HIGH GRADE PROTECTION: 304 Stainless Steel Housing +20ft Power Cord + IP68 Waterproof (If no respond to the remote,choose a mode you like before put in the water or just be right near the light to control it by remote controller locked in ziplock bag)
- EASY INSTALLATION : Wall Surface Mounted Style, No Niche Required
- SAFETY VOLTAGE : Working Voltage is low voltage 12V AC (Caution:Only working in 12V AC, No working in 12V DC.If not or not sure about the power supply,recommend to buy 12V AC transformer together)
- HIGH QUALITY ACCESSORIES (Sold Separately) : (1) 12V AC Transformer(Power Supply) :Search ASIN “ B07GWJ73F1 ”; (2) Alkaline Battery--for remote controller: Search ASIN “ B06ZYRCP2B ”for reference
Changing An Underwater Pool Light
While it may seem like a daunting task, switching out an underwater pool light is a pretty straightforward process. Here is a good YouTube video that demonstrates how to do it: