The Top Firewalls For Home Use Reviewed
Online safety is just as important as your physical security, so you’ll want to ensure you have the best protocols in place. With the right firewall for home use, you can keep your data secure and prevent unauthorized access.
With most homes in America constantly connected to the internet, there is ample opportunity for hackers to access your network. When this happens, sensitive data can be stolen, malware, ransomware, and key-loggers can be installed and your wireless devices could even be hijacked.
People use the internet at home for a variety of reasons. Whether your children are playing online games, you’re checking your bank balance or sharing photos with family members, it’s vital to keep your activity private and secure.
With the best firewall for home use, you can monitor activity, prevent hackers from accessing your network and minimize the risk of malicious software being installed on your systems.
We go over each of the units in our home firewall buyers guide in detail below, but for those of you in a hurry here are the items in our roundup:
Best Firewall For Home
Technology is constantly changing, so finding the right unit to protect your data can be a challenge. To help save you some time we came up with these picks for best firewall for home:
Offering enhanced network security, performance, and connectivity, the FortiGate 30E is designed for home use, as well as use in a business setting. Using the FortiOS 5 system, the model offers unified threat management in the form of various features, including application control, web filtering, firewall, IPS, application control, VPN and advanced threat protection.
As well as protecting against current known threats, Fortinet’s continuous threat intelligence ensures your firewall for home will recognize newer threats as they become apparent. In addition to this, dynamic analysis offers protection from unknown threats too.
Featuring a 950Mbps firewall, 300Mbps IPS, 200Mbps NGFW, and 150Mbps Threat Protection, the FortiGate 30E offers a great level of protection and far exceeds the expectations of many home users.
Although the FortiGate 30E can operate as a wireless access point controller to extend wireless capability, it doesn’t actually feature a wireless interface of its own. However, it does offer 4 LAN points, 1Gbps data transfers and four GE RJ45 Switch Ports, as well as GE RJ45 WAN Port.
While some users will be disappointed that the 30E model doesn’t incorporate a wireless interface, it does offer exceptional security for home and business networks. At close to three hundred dollars it is a fairly pricey option for a home-based system. However, with enhanced features, advanced threat protection and exemplary service from the FortiCare team, you get a lot of bang for your buck.
Delivering enterprise-grade threat protection, the SonicWall Soho unit will ensure complete online protection in a home setting. Whether you’re using the internet to shop online, play games or catch up on work, you can trust the SOHO model to keep you safe.
All traffic is subject to deep packet inspection when you’re using the SonicWall SOHO, regardless of the size or file protocol. This ensures the SOHO unit offers complete protection for all online activity.
With this model, you’ll benefit from firewall throughput inspections at 300Mbps, 50Mbps full DPI throughput, and 100Mbps inspection throughput. In addition, the SOHO unit offers anti-malware throughput at 50Mbps, IMIX throughput at 60Mbps and 1,800 connections per second.
In response to the growing trend of encrypted threats, the SonicWall SOHO also provides SSL inspection and DPI SSL inspection throughput of 15Mbps. With wireless connectivity and the option to use additional access points, many home users will be satisfied with the functionality and security offered by SonicWall.
Although the SOHO unit has a number of customization options, some home users have found that these can be difficult to program without experience. However, default settings do provide sufficient protection for the majority of home users.
Usually retailing at around two hundred dollars, the SonicWall SOHO threat management system offers great protection. While you’ll certainly find cheaper options on the market, the functionality and features offered with this unit do justify its price point.
Designed for use with the Ubiquiti Enterprise System, this Gateway can enhance online security at home and offer effective threat management to businesses and startups too. Purchasers will also receive the UniFi Controller software at no extra charge when they buy the Gateway, which increases connectivity options and simplifies use.
When you’re using the UniFi Controller Software with the Security Gateway, for example, you’ll be able to discover new devices as well as manage the Gateway and connected devices via a single interface. For home users who may be less experienced with tech setups, this is a handy feature to have.
The Security Gateway router offers Gigabit Ethernet Advanced Security and enhanced routing features. While you’ll have the ability to manage multiple networks with this router, this may not be of particular concern to the average home user.
With a site-to-site VPN, data is always encrypted, which ensures you retain your privacy online. Furthermore, this makes it almost impossible for anyone to successful intercept or access your data.
While the Security Gateway doesn’t offer a Wi-Fi interface itself, it can be used alongside access points. Although the Unifi Security Gateway may not suit home users who want wireless connectivity integrated into their router, it does offer enhanced protection.
Secure off-site management capabilities give you complete control over your network when you’re using this model from Ubiquiti, which offers additional peace of mind. Available at a great price, the Security Gateway can be a great option for online protection at home, particularly if you already have other elements of the UniFi system installed.
- 3 Gigabit Ethernet ports, CLI management for advanced users
- 1 million packets per second for 64-byte packets
- 3 Gbps total line rate for packets 512 bytes or larger
- Integrated and managed with UniFi Controller v4.x
- Secure off-site management and monitoring, Silent, fanless operation
The Firewalla Red is designed for home use and, as such, it will feel more user-friendly and intuitive for home users who don’t have as much experience with routers, firewalls, and online security. The unit provides complete online protection and provides users with guidance on keeping devices safe.
With many parents worried about securing baby cams and consoles used by children, the guidance offered by Firewalla, as well as the features delivered by the Red device, provide all-round peace of mind.
With automated alerts, users are notified immediately if anyone attempts to gain access to their network. While the in-built firewall will prevent them from doing so, users can easily see if any security breaches have been attempted.
The Firewalla Red also enables parents to monitor usage of the internet and devices, which is great in modern family homes. When children and teenagers may be using an array of devices at once, parents and caregivers can easily monitor activity and limit access when necessary.
In addition, the in-built VPN offers increased privacy and protection. While users will benefit from this when using the internet at home, Firewalla’s VPN protection extends to devices when they’re used outside the home via public hot-spots too.
Another built-in feature that is highly valued by home users is the Family Time option. Designed to block access to social networks for an hour at a time, family members can still use devices and access the internet, although they won’t be able to log on to social networks while Family Time is enacted.
Technically defined as an intrusion detection and protection system, the Firewalla Red gives users complete control over connectivity. From blocking specific web pages and particular devices to monitoring activity and blocked threats, any home user will find it easy to operate this online security system.
With apps to control and manage the Firewall Red, home users also benefit from easy-to-use interfaces. There’s no need to login to complex systems or learn technological jargon when you’re attempting to use the Firewalla Red because it’s all easily available in their user-friendly apps. For example, here is a short YouTube video showing how to setup the VPN using an app:
Available for a little more than a hundred dollars, Firewalla’s dedicated threat management system is ideal for home users. While more powerful options are available, the Red unit is more than sufficient for the majority of home users and may be one of the best options if you’re looking for a firewall for home use. Furthermore, their delivery of information and focus on easy-to-use features makes the Firewalla Red stand out from the crowd.
- COMPATIBILITY: This is * Firewalla RED * (NOT THE FIREWALLA BLUE), The IPS functionality is limited to 100 Mbits. This device may not be compatible with all routers. Please look at the "specification sheet" document in this listing, or compatibility guide in the manufacturing site for routers that works with Firewalla. May require login to router and do basic configuration.
- COMPLETE CYBERSECURITY PROTECTION - Firewalla's unique intrusion prevention system (IDS and IPS) protects all of your home wire and wireless internet of things devices from threats like viruses, malware, hackng, phishing, and unwanted data theft when you’re using public WiFi. It’s the simple and affordable solution for families, professionals and businesses. Let Firewalla’s built-in OpenVPN server keeps your device usage as secure as it is in your home.
- PARENTAL CONTROL AND FAMILY PROTECT - The days of pulling the power cord from the dusty old router are behind you; with just a few taps on the smartphone, you can see what they’re doing, cut off all access, or cut off only gaming or social networks. Turn on Family Protect to filter and block adult and malicious content, keep internet activities healthy and safe.
- EASY TO INSTALL - Get Firewalla up and running as easy as 1-2-3! No special skills or tech know-how required: just connect to your wifi router and a power source, launch the app on your mobile device, and scan the barcode to get started. With this, you have the power to monitor and manage your device from anywhere in the world. App is available for both iPhone and Android. Please see manufacturing web site for router compatibility
- DEEP INSIGHT - Firewalla uses deep insight and cloud-based behavior analytics engines to actively detect and automatically block problems as they arise. From this continuous monitoring, you’ll have full visibility of activities across all your iot devices and the ability to identify full network flows, bandwidth analysis, and internet troubleshooting. Keeping your internet secure, and hack free.
While the TP-Link SafeStream is budget-friendly at a little over fifty dollars, users may need a more advanced understanding of tech in order to get the most out of it. Multiple VPN protocols can be integrated and the SafeStream offers fast and reliable wired connections.
DoS defense, IP-MAC binding, and SPI firewall will protect you from the vast majority of known threats, while IP/MAC/Domain name filtering functions offer additional protection. With advanced VPN features, the TP-Link SafeStream offers Main/Aggressive negotiation modes, DES/3DES/AES128/AES192/AES256 encryption, Manual/IKE key management, and MD5/SHA1 authentication.
Although you’ll be able to manage up to 16 PPTP VPN connections and up to 20 LAN-to-LAN IPSec connections, this may be more than the average home user requires. The SafeStream features 1 Fixed Gigabit LAN Port, 1 Fixed Gigabit WAN Port, and 3 Changeable Gigabit WAN/LAN Ports and supports wireless compatibility. However, it doesn’t feature a wireless interface itself, which means users will need another access point if they want to use the internet wirelessly at home.
Many existing users would like to see increased firmware updates from TP-Link, although the majority are satisfied with the level of protection offered by the SafeStream router. While the relatively low price may attract a number of buyers, more inexperienced home users may struggle to get the full benefit of the SafeStream model.
- 1 Gigabit WAN port, 1 Gigabit LAN Port, and 3 Gigabit WAN/LAN ports provide high-speed wired connectivity
- Supports IPSec, L2TP/IPSec, and PPTP VPN protocols, Simultaneous supports up to 20 IPsec VPN tunnels, 16 L2TP VPN tunnels and 16 PPTP VPN tunnels
- DoS defense and IP/MAC/Domain name filtering protect your network.
- Professional 4KV lightning protection keeps your investment safe and sound
- Note: Please kindly refer to the manual when setting up