Disclaimer: We may receive a commission for products purchased through some links in this article.
The Top 5 Electric Snow Blowers Reviewed
When entering the winter months, something devastating is inevitably just around the corner; that thing is snow. When it comes to snow, preparing yourself to the best of your ability is about the best you can do.
While some people stand firm and arm themselves with a snow shovel, the wisest among us prepare at arms with the might of a snowblower. When it comes to choosing the right snow blower, the choice can lead you up a stormy path.
Whether you require something heavy-duty to tackle an entire neighborhoods snow, or something small and compact for your driveway. We are today going to take a comprehensive look at some of the best electric snow blowers available.
Best Snow Blowers
1. Toro 38381The Toro 38381 electric snow blower seems to be one of the most popular blowers available at the moment. The Toro comes equipped with a small and mighty 15 amp electric motor. The Toro’s first surprise is in its power. It is quite rare that one could stumble upon a 15 amp electric motor snow blower and have it comfortably compete with a gas-powered blower.
Toro’s advantages do not stop there. The Toro is remarkably compact and, as far as electric snow blowers are concerned, it’s incredibly light. It approximately measures 36″ by 18″ by 47″ and weighs 12 kg. Having a snowblower this compact and lightweight makes it remarkably usable for just about anybody.
One of the ultimate selling points behind the Toro is the Power Curve System. The Power Curve System consists of an inverted funnel housing and a rounded rotor. The combination of these two elements allows the blower to pick up and move the snow more efficiently. One of the most exceptional points of the Power Curve System is its clog prevention system.
The Toro is easy to maneuver and equipped with two 6″ wheels. These wheels are specially designed to gain greater traction on the snowy surface. The throw distance of this powerful little blower is around 30 feet. The Toro is capable of cutting snow between 4 and 8 inches deep.
The only negatives that are found with the Toro are connected to the chute and the safety button. The chute itself is a tad small, this doesn’t pose significant issues, but a bigger chute would have taken this blower to new levels. The safety button, although necessary, does cause minor inconvenience as it needs to be pressed on every start.
The Snow Joe, however, does have some real goods when it comes to performance, but first, let us look at its dimensions. The Snow Joe measure in at 45″ by 19″ by 26″ and weighs in at 15 kg. Although the Snow Joe may weigh a tiny bit more than the Toro, it can handle snowfall of up to 10 inches.
One of the most notable features of the Snow Joe is the width of the path clearing. When it comes down to the important stuff, the wider clearing path, the quicker the job is completed. The Snow Joe boasts an impressive 18″ clearing path and throws snow up to 25 feet.
Another great feature of the Snow Joe is the 20-watt headlight on the front of the blower. The light helps when it comes to early mornings or of course, those dark evenings. The Snow Joe also removes the risks when it comes to clogged chutes and includes a handy tool for clearing out the chutes.
When it comes to addressing negatives with the Snow Joe, wet snow is one of the most significant issues. The Snow Joe is a fantastic machine, but the chute can clog if the blower has to undertake wet snow. The clogging is a rare occurrence but something that should be mentioned.
- Versatile: ideal for clearing snow off mid-to-large sized driveways and walkways
- MAINTENANCE-FREE: No gas, oil or tune-ups make it effortless to start and maintain
- Powerful: 15-amp motor moves up to 720 lbs. of snow per minute
- Steel auger: 4-blade Steel auger cuts 18 in. Wide by 10 in. Deep with each pass
- Directional Chute: 180° adjustable directional Chute throws snow up to 25 ft.
When we examine the dimensions of the Greenworks, we have an impressive 31″ by 21.6″ by 37″ and a net weight of around 13 kg. The Greenworks proves to be a compact little beast.
Although the Greenworks is advertised to only have a clearing depth of 10 inches, it has a proven track record of tackling 12 inches with ease. Now, the most glorious thing about the Greenworks is its clearing path. The sturdy little blower has a clearing path of 20 inches, so when it comes to clearing time, it’s reduced quite rapidly.
If you are looking for might, reliability, and affordability, the Greenworks could be for you. The one thing that should not go unmentioned is the requirement for a rather pricey extension cord. That being said, that’s a small price to pay for such a mean machine.
- 13 amp motor delivers powerful results for gas alternative
- Adjustable 180 degree directional chute makes snow throwing manageable
- Discharge snow up to 20-feet. 7-inch wheels for greater mobility
- Only works on 120 volts
The PowerSmarts major selling point is its rubber-tipped steel auger. The auger breaks snow loose and makes the tough stuff seem irrelevant. The PowerSmart also plays host to a 13 amp electric motor. This motor really does its job, and the performance from this blower says pretty much everything it needs to.
When it comes to dimensions, the PowerSmart sizes up as a pretty bulky fellow; it comes in at 42″ by 19″ by 40, “Which makes it one of the more sizeable options. The blower also weighs in at almost 17 kg, which makes it among the heaviest of our selection. The size and weight, however, should not put you off.
The PowerSmart has an impressive clearing width of 18 inches and can cut to a depth of around 9 inches. The PowerSmart’s steel auger can throw show up to approximately 30 feet, so that puts this blower in competition with the Toro.
Taking everything into account, the PowerSmart gives a fantastic performance, especially for its price tag. The price tag, though does, of course, come hand in hand with a few cons. The blower itself can be a little bulky for some, which may be a problem if you prefer light and compact. Another point that must be mentioned is its control angle. The blower is highly effective when it comes to clearing snow. You will, however, have to ensure the auger is sitting flush to the ground. If the auger is not flush, you will find a thin layer of snow remains.
- 13 Amp electric motor for effective snow removal
- Clearing snow up to 18 in. wide and 8 in. deep in one pass makes quick work of clearing driveways and patios
- Rubber-tipped steel auger breaks the snow loose with great ease
- Electric operation is ideal for light snowfalls on patios, walkways and sidewalks
- ONE YEAR WARRANTY
The Earthwise plays home to a nice and powerful little 12 amp motor and has no problem at all tackling snow up to 8 inches. Although the Earthwise may not be a lot to look at, the little pocket rocket can shift 430 lbs of snow per minute.
When we compare this incredible little machine to the rest, we have something to behold. The Earthwise measures 41″ by 16″ by 38″ and weighs only 7 kg. Now, the weight alone makes this more than appealing, but what can it do?
Well, the Earthwise can live up to the big boys and throw up to 30 feet. This little electric snow shovel also has a clearing path of 16 inches. One of the most beautiful things about the Earthwise can also be its downfall; this little shovel is corded. So providing you have access to a close-by powerpoint, you won’t have any issues. If compact, reliable, extremely lightweight, and surprisingly powerful is what you seek, then the Earthwise could be the choice for you.
- Powerful 12-Amp Motor: Moves 430 lbs of snow per minute; Powerful results for gas alternative
- 16" Snow Clearing Width; 8" Snow Clearing Depth; 30' Snow Throwing Distance
- Ideal for quick and easy snow removal jobs around the house: sidewalks, walkways, steps, decks and more
- Easy to operate: The included 6" rear wheels makes this snow shovel extremly easy to use and transport
- Features; Auxiliary handle, cord retention hook, rear wheels, dual curved auger blade and thermal protection
Is An Electric Snow blower Actually Effective?
Electric snow blowers are relatively new products to the market. We know they can be less expensive than gas snow blowers, but do they work as well? This video tests out some of the more popular snow blower models: