Disclaimer: We may receive a commission for products purchased through some links in this article.
The Top 5 Coaxial Cables Reviewed
Setting up a home theater requires a lot of dedication; the cost is high, you need to do a lot of research and there’s an endless amount of tinkering involved if you want to get everything absolutely perfect. Even after you’ve purchased all of the right equipment and hardware for your needs, you might end up having less-than-ideal audio or video quality and there are plenty of different factors that could contribute to this.
One of the most pressing issues would be damaging your expensive home setup due to poor installation. For example, something as seemingly innocent as a coaxial cable could cause your entire home setup to short out, essentially destroying it and rendering it a useless paperweight. An incident like this could be caused by a number of different issues such as a voltage surge or low-quality plugs, but you always want to rule out the controllable factors such as low-quality accessories like a coaxial cable.
Bad cables could also lead to poor signals, sound that cuts out and ultimately degrade the viewing experience, making you question why you even bothered spending so much money on your setup in the first place. If you’re going to spend a lot of money perfecting your home viewing experience, then purchasing the right accessories is important to make the most of it. So in this article, we’re going to list five different coaxial cables that are recommended for any kind of home theater setup that you actually want to protect.
Best Coax Cables
Since the wire is made by a reputable company, it’s high in quality and excellent for general purpose use, but if you’re not planning to use all of it or don’t have the tools and accessories to actually make use of the cabling, then you’re probably better off getting a cable that already has its connectors in place. This helps you avoid an additional step in the process and makes it easier to actually make use of the cables instead of having to learn how to strip the wire and add the connectors. Of course, if you’ve got no problem learning this for the future, then having a lot of extra wire length is fantastic.
There are a couple of issues with quality control that is worth pointing out. Since this is 500ft of wire, the chances of there being some kind of issue with the wire become much higher. This is likely due to the strenuous task of quality controlling such a huge bulk of wire. Some people have reported that certain areas of their coaxial cable were warped or had some noticeable defects, and this is important to point out because nobody wants to have a defective product. However, this isn’t very common but it’s still a good idea to visually examine everything first before cutting and using it so that you can return the product for a replacement.
- RG6U Quad Shield 3.0 GHz Coaxial Cable
- PVC Flame Retardant CM Rated jacket
- 1st Shield - Bonded Aluminum Foil; 2nd Shield- True 60% Aluminum Braid Shield 5x16x0.16mm; 3rd Shield - Unbonded Aluminum Foil; 4th True 40% Aluminum Braid Shield 4x16x0.16mm
- 18AWG Conductor (CCS) Copper Clad Steel
- 500 feet (153 meters) Black Jacket / Wooden Reel
One of the issues that could make this cable a little bothersome to use is that it comes in a large coil. This means that straightening it out could take a bit of time because it’s such as sturdy cable, but with a bit of time and some patience, you can have the cable uncurl completely so that it doesn’t automatically try to curl back up when installing it. This is a relatively minor issue but it’s worth mentioning. Otherwise, there’s not much worth saying about such a solid and usable coaxial cable that simply just works.
- Applications: Use Ultra Series Coaxial Cables to connect Televisions, Cable Modems, Satellite Receivers, Off-Air Antennas and all other F-Female equipped devices.
- Construction: Manufactured from Triple Shielded RG6 coaxial cable suitable for outdoor or indoor use.
- In-Wall Use: Ultra Series Coax cables are UL rated for in-wall use.
- Connectors: Nickel plated F-type connectors. Complimentary Removable East Grip Connector Caps simplify installation onto F-Female. Easily removed by sliding off if not desired.
- Other complementary Mediabridge products: Right Angle F Connectors (Item# B00H7KD4T0) and F81 Splice Connectors (Item# B00HFYGQHU). Includes adjustable & reusable Velcro cable strap for easy organization & storage.
In general, if you’re looking for a premium option then the KabelDirekt is a fantastic choice. It works flawlessly and helps to ensure a stable and solid connection between your devices so that you don’t risk damaging your devices or having a low-quality viewing experience. If you’re tired of dealing with any kind of malfunction or maintenance on your cables and just want something that works flawlessly, this is the one to invest in. While it can seem a bit pricey, it should only cost a fraction of what you paid for your home AV setup and will help give you peace of mind.
- AUDIO VIDEO COAXIAL CABLE: Double shielded coax cable with thick aluminum braiding insulation and alu mylar foil for a reliable AV connection
- OXYGEN FREE COPPER: Provides maximum signal power and efficiency, and reduces strain to extend the lifetime of the cable
- F TYPE CONNECTOR PINS: Perfect for Male to Male cable televisions (CATV), satellite television receivers, VCRs, cable boxes, cable modems, digital router and antenna connectors
- 24K GOLD PLATED CONNECTORS: Corrosion resistant gold plating minimizes interference, while the all-metal connectors are fully shielded with a copper plate
- 36 MONTHS MANUFACTURER WARRANTY
It’s purchasable in a variety of lengths from 1.5 feet to 100 feet so you can ensure that you get the right lengths, and the 2-pack makes it well worth the money despite the quality lacking a bit compared to more expensive options. This makes the Cable Matters quad-shielded coaxial cable a solid everyday option for most devices and equipment, but if you’re looking for a more premium option to support more expensive devices and ensure that you don’t need to replace it or perform maintenance, you may want to look for a slightly more expensive option. There also seems to be some issues with interference despite it being a quad-shielded cable, though this problem seems to vary in severity depending on the home setup.
- High performance RG6 cable (also refer to as RG6/U cable, RG-6/U cable or RG-6 cable) for connecting a cable television (CATV), VCR, satellite receiver, cable box, digital router, modem cable, TV antenna cable, or other devices with RG6 F-type coaxial (RG6 F-pin coaxial) port
- Quad shielded RG6 coax cable is the perfect choice for DirectTV and Dish Network systems at up to 3 GHz
- Convenient and cost-effective 3-pack TV cable cord provide spare or replacement digital coaxial cables for different systems. The cable tv coaxial cable has low profile metallic connectors ensure a secure connection and increase durability
- Heavy quad-shielding consists of four layers of aluminum foil and braid shielding against electromagnetic interference (EMI) and radio frequency interference (RFI)
- RG6 coaxial cable has durable and flexible PVC jacket which complies with the CM and CL2 rating for the fire safety requirements
The AmazonBasics coaxial cable is a fantastic purchase for general use and comes highly recommended. There are no real flaws to using it and the negative reviews are only commenting on the white protective caps that can be somewhat difficult to remove. Thankfully, all you need to do is pull on the plastic section of the cable that says AmazonBasics and the cap will fall off. There’s no mention of this on the website or in the box, but a user has kindly posted instructions on the Amazon store page which describes how to do it. This is admittedly quite frustrating but doesn’t impact the overall quality of the cable. Aside from this minor issue, there’s really nothing wrong about these great-value cables from Amazon and you’re guaranteed to have long-lasting coaxial cables that will serve you well.
- 75 OHM RG6 coaxial A/V cable with 2 nickel-plated F-type male connectors; safe for use indoors or out; UL-rated for in-wall use
- Connects TVs, VCRs, cable modems, satellite receivers, off-air antennas, and other devices with F-type ports
- Clear audio/visual without background noise from electromagnetic (EM) and radio frequency (RF) interference
- Solid center conductor, dielectric insulation, and 3 layers of aluminum shielding; durable, yet flexible PVC outer layer
- Includes 2 removable easy-grip caps for effortless connecting (no need for extra tools); cable measures 50 feet; backed by an AmazonBasics 1-year limited warranty
Coax Cable Basics
If you are interested in learning more about coaxial cables, this video does a good job of teaching about them: