Another HID example has been added to Github repository of USB Host Shield for Arduino (which you can purchase in my store) . Richard Ibbotson sent me this nice piece of code along with some pictures. He also posted a short description of his sketch in comments section:
I wrote a sketch for the interface of the PS3 controller over USB. I have two controllers, one Sony and one Madcatz wireless with a USB dongle. Both of these work fine to the USB host shield. I only made one minor change to the library to increase the NAK count. The sketch tests all the function, buttons, joysticks, accelerometer/gyro, leds and rumble. This is not yet under bluetooth just USB. I can set the host bluetooth adddress on the controller though which is needed for bluetooth pairing.
Did not make much attempt to reduce code or data size, so only have about 4K of program space and 240 bytes of data space left, but sketch is pretty long. The actual PS3 part is very small and could be made to a small library.
Next is to move to the bluetooth part, from what I have found on the direct USB, I am pretty confident this will fit even on the 168.
PS3 controller support opens some very interesting possibilities. Not only can it be used as a normal “joystick plus buttons” type of control, but you can also utilize it’s accelerometer/gyro. With wireless variant of the controller all kinds of very powerful radio control are possible. Who is going to be the first to make a mechanical dog, which follows you around and brings back the controller when you throw it away?
If you want to try the sketch, make sure you have the latest library code as well – there are some small but important changes made recently in NAK handling.
- PS3 and Wiimote Game Controllers on the Arduino Host Shield: Part 1
- PS3 and Wiimote Game Controllers on the Arduino Host Shield: Part 2
- PS3 and Wiimote Game Controllers on the Arduino Host Shield: Part 3
- Arduino USB Host Shield build log. Part 3.
- USB Host Shield for Arduino – first prototype.
- Towards an FT232 Driver for the USB Host Shield- Part 0
- Arduino USB Host Shield build log. Part 2.
- Arduino USB Host Shield build log. Part 4.
- Arduino USB Host Shield build log. Part 1.
- Arduino USB Host – Peripherals.